Captian Nemo

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Ham Ham, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Looks like Disney is planning a preque, Captian Nemo, to their movie based on Jules Vernes' 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
    http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... mo--d.html
    http://www.hollywoodwiretap.com/?module ... y&id=32056

The Disney ; Sci-Fi movie with James Manson, Peter Lorre and Kirk Couglas is one of my favorite Disney films. When it would come around to cinemas every few years in the late 60's my mother would take me and I would be drawn into a wonderful view of future past. The Nautilus, the fight with the giant squid would just keep me on the edge of my seat.
    Also during my first visit to Disney when I was 24 the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction was the highlight of the trip. I hope they bring the Finding Nemo Submarine voyage to WDW.

I think I may have a fascinating with movies involving submarines. I own DVD's of Das Boot, my favorite film of all time, and The Hunt for Red October which are both watched several times a year.

Here's a site I found dedicated to Disney submarines.
    http://www.disneysubmarines.com/

Re-verify our range to target... one ping only.
    [​IMG]

2. McG To Direct Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo"

Source: allheadlinenews.com
    January 7, 2009 9:32 a.m. EST

Anne Lu - Celebrity News Service News Writer

Los Angeles, CA (CNS) - Director McG has been tapped to helm a new family film by Disney, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo."

The film will see Nemo, the Jules Verne novel character and not the famous animated fish, creating the Nautilus submarine.

It has been reported that McG will be paid $8 million against the 7% of the film's gross. The studio hopes to start the production this year, as per Variety.

Bill Marsilli will pen the script.

Disney released the original "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" in 1954, that Kirk Douglas starred in. It became the second-higest grossing film that year and won three Academy Awards.

3. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Will Smith as Captain Nemo

Stumbler across this link over at digg.com.

Don't know how valid the source is. Normally I don't post whole articles but if it is true and Disney may ask them to pull it.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclus ... e-sea-5987

Exclusive: McG Wants A Bad Boy To Go 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea!

By Kellvin Chavez on January 13, 2009

I am writing this after watching the Terminator Salvation roadshow presentation that I saw with my good buddy Ron Henriques, whose in depth coverage you can read HERE!

Director McG did a hell of job selling the shit out of Terminator Salvation, and if you ask me, I think this guy deserves a chance to prove himself, and will do so with the Christian Bale driven Terminator sequel. There were many questions raised such as whether or not this is a John Connor or Kyle Reese/Marcus film and surprisingly it looks to lean towards the latter.

Anyhow, the bigger story that I have to report came after the presentation. Just like I did for the Watchmen presentation where I got a chance to chat with DC Comics president Paul Levitz and talk about Superman when this sneak peek was over we all went out to have some drinks and got a chance to speak to McG personally.

Ron and I talked a bit with Mcg about any time travel elements within this Terminator story and he explained the origins of the Marcus character and how his journey doesn't involve travellng to the past or present. ; I also asked him straight out “What the hell. Are we seeing Arnold or not?" to which he responded with a grin saying, “You have to wait and see, can’t give that away cause we’re in the Warner Bros. building and they will shoot me if I say anything”

There I was with Ron and we’re getting our shit to leave, and McG was kind of still hanging out with us while the room emptied.

I continued pressing McG for information and I remembered that at one time he was going to direct SUPERMAN, and he talked about what happened “I actually got fired from that due to my fear of flying.” ; As to how his vision would have been different he answered “I would’ve made it a much darker film. ; I like Bryan I think he's a fantastic director and I like Donner too, but I would have made it darker.” And would have he chose Lex Luthor as a villain or another? "DOOMSDAY. ; I like DOOMSDAY.”

FINALLY I had to go for the kill so then I asked him, “How do you go from Terminator to the Captain Nemo story?”

McG talked a bit about his idea and frankly I was getting my jacket to get out of there when all of a sudden I heard him say, “The character Nemo in this film is more about obsession, he is obsessed and people tend to forget that when you become so obsessed you end up being the villain.”

AND THEN THE KILLER ANSWER!! (In an interesting way.)

McG continues, “'Man I’m trying to get Will Smith to do it, been trying to get a hold of him. ; I've been wanting to work with him for a long time already. That guy's great”

I stopped and looked at Ron and we both gave each other that “Did he say what I thought he just said” look. That’s right! McG is pitching to the studio that he wants Will Smith to play the lead role of Captain Nemo. Now, he mentions that Nemo’s antagonist is himself, a dark side that he battles with. So I am not sure if McG wants Smith to play Nemo played by James Mason in the original film or protagonist sailor Ned Land played by Kirk Douglas. ; Good, bad, or both? All I know is that he wants Will Smith, and is pushing the studios to go after him!

What do you guys think? I think that it will be sort of interesting to see Smith play a villain for once if you ask me. ; I don’t think he’s ever played a villain. ; You all know that whatever Smith touches turns to box office gold…well with the exception of SEVEN POUNDS. ; So it would benefit the studio to consider him. Now it is just a matter of time whether or not Will Smith believes in McG. ; Pretty sure the success of Terminator Salvation could dictate that.

And no this is not a RUMOR! This is coming straight from the man himself and FOR ALL YOU IN THE WEST COAST go ahead and find out yourself cause after posting this information I KNOW FOR A FACT that some of you will go ahead and start your investigation or ask McG about Nemo since he will be in LA doing the Terminator Salvation thing as well.

4. scratch

scratch Member

All I have to say ....................

Can't they come up with new ideas for movies instead of redoing old ones! ; Shheesh!