Cass Railfan Weekend 2010

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by mSummers, May 24, 2010.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

Sunday started with the traditional 3 train race and Heisler #6 was featured on the Log Train. ; I had a good shot of the race from my trip last year, so I staked out a good spot for the runbys at the watertower. ; Standing on the coal bin loading ramp, I got this photo of Shay #11 taking water as Heisler #6 pulls the log train down the former C&O Mainline. ; The structure in the background is what is left of the lumber mill:

[​IMG]

Next, Big Six takes water while Heisler #6 pulls the log train down the mainline:

[​IMG]

Next up were some runbys at the Leatherbark Creek Bridge (this time I knew where to stand). ; Here Shays #11 and #6 pull the passenger train over the bridge:

[​IMG]

Here's the less often photographed fireman's side of the shay:

[​IMG]

And then Heisler #6 pulls the log train:

[​IMG]

Next, we had one runby of the log train at the "S" Curve below Whitaker:

[​IMG]

During the runby, the pop valve on the Heisler stuck in the open position causing them to loose 70psi of steam before it closed[nb]The pop valve is supposed to only release 5psi to keep the boiler at or below maximum operating pressure. ; A second pop valve will lift if the pressure gets to 10psi above max operating pressure and will stay open until it drops down to a safe operating level[/nb]. ; While that's not a huge problem it is hard on the boiler and the decision was made to end the photo runbys for the day and send the locomotive back to the shop. ; After lunch and wood sports demonstration at Whitaker we headed back down the mountain for the last time. ; ;

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Great series and narrative Michael.

3. HW

HW Member

absolutely first class stuff

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff indeed. ; Sounds like a fun event, that I might have to consider taking in one day.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

This was my first Railfan Weekend at Cass and I had a great time. ; The pace is slower than a photo charter and they had more non-photography events (walking tour of the town, the Cass museum was open, etc) than you get at a strictly photography oriented event. ; The trade off is that you get less photo stops and less runbys out on the line because of the large number of people. ; If you want to get the full Cass experience I recommend staying in one of the restored Company Houses. ;