Convention time!

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ddindy, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

A favorite activity during the summer is roasting marshmallows over a camp fire. This young lady recommends Stay Puft brand marshmallows.

[​IMG]
    Summertime treat

Another fun summer (and fall, winter and spring) activity is going to various special-interest conventions and people-watching. I've posted a bunch of photos from Cincinnati Comic Expo in a Google+ album.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Nice photo. ; I'm waiting to see what is in store for me in a couple of weeks when I head to Wizard World Chicago. ; Got to wonder if the 6'4" 300lb guy is going to be dressed as Supergirl again this year. ; That and the Drag Queen Storm (from X-Men).

Sent by using Tapatalk...

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Well at 6'4" and 300Lbs, that would indeed be one SUPER girl. ; Super-sized, at least!

4. zackiedawg

Dennis - great shot...very cute girl and outfit. ; Was she a random person who posed for you or someone you know?

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Typically if one goes to a comi-con dressed up as someone or something, you go with the expectation of people asking you to pose for a photo (and sometimes with that person). ; Cosplayers feed on that attention and I have found that as long as you are polite to them, 99% will honor your request for a photo.

Sent by using Tapatalk...

6. ddindy

Thanks guys.

Jeff, we don't get any Super "girls" in Indy, but we do have Star Trek cosmetologist Moxie Magnus. :)

Justin, I wish I knew her (or someone like her). As Jeff said, she was just one of many cosplayers at the Cincinnati Comic Expo. Check out the G+ album for more. I also have an album from last year's Gen Con, and will be posting more shots from other past and future cons.

7. zackiedawg

Interesting - thanks for the facts guys. ; I've never been to one so I don't know much about them other than what I catch on TV or in a show (Big Bang Theory guys always go). ; I know it's sort of a geek fest, so when I was younger I'd have probably been there...especially given that it seems to bring out a much wilder side of the more intellectual and nerdy girls. ; And guys too, though that part doesn't interest me personally. ; :) ; My generation's nerds just hung out at the movie theater or used book/comic store...we would have loved something like ComicCon.

8. ddindy

Et tu, Constance Hatchaway?

[​IMG]
    Looking to get ahead

This was by far the best costume I saw at C2E2 in Chicago. If you're looking for a unique Halloween costume, you've got to think outside the box. :)

9. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I had to do a couple of takes to actually get the joke but that is really really cool.

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

You were at C2E2 in Chicago? ; I was almost able to attended but ended up having to work. ; Do you go every year? ; I am contemplating attending next year (although the friend I usually go with can't attend) and having seen the attndance at the cosplay contest at Wizard World this year (and watching Heroes of Cosplay on SyFy) thought it would be cool to phooshoot the contest.

Sent from my iPad

11. ddindy

Jeff, it was my first time at C2E2. I had heard good things about it. I had a great time, even though I didn't take many photos. For me, the draw was the huge Artists Alley; there is a big emphasis on comics at this show. I'm certainly going to try and attend again next year.

And for anyone else who doesn't know who Constance Hatchaway is, she's the lady in the Haunted Mansion's attic. Men seem to lose their heads over her.

[​IMG]
    Who's next

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I love Artist's Alley at any convention which is where most of my money is spent.

Sent from my iPad

13. ddindy

Here's a cosplay you can all relate to: Victor Schnell as Walt Disney and Brandi Weaver as Mickey Mouse at this past weekend's Cincinnati Comic Expo. They're big Disney fans, as you can see by their pose emulating the Partners statue. You can see more photos of them on Vincent's Flickr page.

[​IMG]
    Real-life Partners

14. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very cool! ; Those are totally paper plates for Mickey's ears. ; Looks like one of the first walk around character costumes.

15. ddindy

16. ddindy

Yet another convention. This time it's Fandomfest in Louisville, Kentucky.

If any of you are familiar with comic books today, you'll spot the rare character in this shot. Squirrel Girl (on the left with her companion Tippy Toe), only appeared in a handful of books as a member of the Great Lakes Avengers. Deadpool (center) is a common character at conventions and Black Widow has become more popular since the Avengers movie was released.

[​IMG]
    Holy acorns, Batman!

17. ddindy

Another one from Fandomfest: This young lady apparently got tired of playing Magic The Gathering, so she turned her cards into a costume. Unfortunately, this angle doesn't show the wings she had sticking out from her back.

[​IMG]
    Cardsharp

18. ddindy

I found this lovely creature at Gen Con, the big gaming convention here in Indianapolis.

[​IMG]
    Nature queen

19. ddindy

20. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

You are a busy fella, Dennis.