D700..game changer

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have done two high school hockey games with the Nikon D700, battery grip (for 9fps shooting) and Nikon 70-200VR lens. ; I do a custom white balance off the ice and use a picture control given to me by a very good Nikon hockey photographer. Shoot in shutter priority mode at 1/500th of a second and let the Auto ISO go up to H3 (8000 cap). Fast processing with cropping, captioning and some highlight recovery and black point adjustments. ; What used to take 6 hours now takes an hour.

Here's some photos.

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 2800, EV +1.3, 120mm FL

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 7200, EV +1.3, 200mm FL

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 4500, EV +1.3, 160mm FL

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 2800, EV +1.3, 82mm FL

2. HW

HW Member

great action shots Scott. amazing how sharp that lens is wide open

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great work Scott!

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

It is one of Nikon's best lenses for sure. ; Oh, I did not do any noise reduction to these photos.

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great action shots Scott! ; They are really nice!

6. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

The D700 absolutely changed the way I shoot. It's really an amazing body.

I have the earlier generation of the 70-200, and while sharp, it does suffer from vignetting, esp wide open. But I found it's (usually) not a problem with some post-Lightrooming. (love the new lens profile stuff!)

The *ONLY* problem I have with it is when I drop it or slam it to the ground. Sheesh! You'd think it would put up with a 30-G shock! ; ::)

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tom,

I have the VR I version of the 70-200VR. ; I have not had any vignetting problems on the D700. Off to another game tonight in a new rink for me. ; Hope it has good lighting!

8. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I bought mine while I still had (and still have) my D200. The vignetting issue is rather large at times.

Right now, I suffer from a problem where either the distance from the sensor to the lens has moved, the sensor has shifted, or the lens mount is damaged. I fell down walking on a train tressle, camera landed hard on the agregate. I learned a long time ago that it ain't worth it to try to hang onto the camera when you're falling down. They can be fixed a lot easier than bones. The biggest problem I have is that this is about the 6th time the camera has been to Nikon for repairs due to falls, and I had only had the camera for about 2 months from the last repair! The west coast repair facility is about 1 mile from my work place. You know it's bad when they call you by name when you walk in...

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Ouch....be careful!!!

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More pics...same camera and lens. ; In this rink, I had to shoot through the protective "glass". ; Lighting was good.

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 2800, EV +1.3, 98mm FL

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 4000, EV +1.3, 160mm FL

[​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 4500, EV +1.3, 200mm FL

11. HW

HW Member

good stuff Scott. amazing detail shooting thru glass

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love them Scott! ; It almost looks as if you are on the ice for them!

PS - The Devils are now officially the worst team in the NHL after the thumping the Islanders gave them last night!

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Since I was right on the boards, at times, it felt like I was on the ice. ; :)

Ouch...that's not good about the Devils. ; In other news, Montreal used a 5 minute major penalty last night to score two power play goals to beat the Hurricanes.

14. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I'll live, as long as the Flyer or Rangers dont win the Cup! I cna root for Montreal, I still like Gomez and Gionta!

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tonight's game was in a rink I played most of my youth hockey in back in the 70's. ; The lighting is not the best and the only place where I could shoot from was behind the benches. As in the past games, a Nikon D700 and 70-200VR lens was used for these photos. ISOs climbed to 8K to keep the shutter speeds at 1/500th of a second.

Face-off puck drop.
    [​IMG]
    1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 8000, EV +1.3, 200mm FL

Shot from the point.
    [​IMG]

Glove save!
    [​IMG]

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

More nice shots Scott!

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, John! ; I am still amazed at the ISO performance. ; The last set was taken in JPEG Fine quality so I can process them fast and get them to the paper's Sports editor I shot for with no noise reduction. ; Saves me a ton of time.

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Getting into the game more as the season goes on. ; Here's some from last night before I get a break this week.

Hip Check!
    [​IMG]
    D700/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 7200, EV +1.3, 200mm FL

Toe Save.
    [​IMG]
    D700/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 4500, EV +1.3, 120mm FL

Ballerina Goal (puck is just under the goalie's stick in this shot)
    [​IMG]
    D700/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 6400, EV +1.3, 82mm FL

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Again, nice work Scott! ; Did that last one go in?

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yes, but from the angle you could not see it so I went with this one. ; It was cool though as the red player was fully laid out in the air for that frame.