gary's heartland adventure

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Jun 9, 2014.

1. gary

gary Member

daddy can you take me back to muhlenburg county, down by the green river, where paradise lay, i'm sorry my son, but you're too late in askin, mr peabody's coal train done hauled it away

bonus points for the songwriter

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

John Denver! So maybe I Googled it waiting for the bus. I did get engaged at a John Denver concert about a month before his fatal crash in 1997.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I forgot that John Denver sang that too. I have The Seldom Scene's cover of it on one of my bluegrass playlists

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Found this online... And if you keep reading he mentions Disney.

In 1971, a song titled “Paradise” began to be heard on the radio. It was written and performed by country singer John Prine. The song, written for Prine’s father, is about how coal mining altered the countryside in western Kentucky. In this case, the type of mining at issue was strip mining. Companies such as Amax, Pittsburg & Midway, and Peabody Coal Company had either acquired coal land or engaged in strip mining in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky during the 1960s, and in some cases, for years thereafter.
    Peabody Coal Co., for one, was then supplying coal under contract to the Tennessee Valley Authority which had built two new coal-fired, electric-generating units for a powerplant near the small town of Paradise, Kentucky.

In October 2013, Lydia Huthchinson, writing a background piece on Prine at PerformingSongwriter.com, brought together some of the history behind a few of his songs, including “Paradise.” Here’s what Prine had to say about the song:

…I wrote it for my father mainly so he would know I was a songwriter. Paradise was a real place in Kentucky, and while I was in the Army in Germany, my father sent me a newspaper article telling me how the coal company had bought the place out.

It was a real Disney-looking town. It sat on the river, had two general stores, and there was one black man in town, Bubby Short. He looked like Uncle Remus and hung out with my Granddaddy Ham, my mom’s dad, all day fishing for catfish. Then the bulldozers came in and wiped it all off the map.

When I recorded the song, I brought a tape of the record home to my dad; I had to borrow a reel-to-reel machine to play it for him. When the song came on, he went into the next room and sat in the dark while it was on. I asked him why, and he said he wanted to pretend it was on the jukebox…

5. gary

gary Member

well i did have the songwriter in mind, that is the great john prine, although i do have a liking for the seldom scene version, mike auldridge's dobro is just haunting on that

6. vfphaitrieua

vfphaitrieua Member

“Ừ, có đến hàng triệu những thứ lặt vặt trên thế giới này làm trái tim bạn dao động. Và tôi biết một điều như thế. Tôi không bao giờ đồng hồ chính hãng biết rằng phút giây lần trước tiên nắm tay cô ấy lại ngọt đến thế. Tôi như trở về nhà vậy. Nó là ngôi nhà có thực mà tôi từng biết. Tôi chỉ nắm tay cô ấy ra khỏi ô tô. Cảm giác ấy khôn cùng kì diệu”. đồng hồ nam casio - Chúc các bạn một ngày làm việc vui vẻ nhé :)

7. gary

gary Member

Say what???

jbwolffiv likes this.
  8. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Ran it thru my translator which it says is Vietnamese...

"Yes, there are millions of bits in this world do you heart hovers. And I know a thing like that. I was never the genuine clock knows that moment she first time back to the sweet. I like to go home, too. It is the House that I once knew. I held her hand out of the car. Feeling him with magic ".
    men's watches casio-I wish you a nice day's work:)"

But that's a very basic translation by a program...

9. gary

gary Member

Well ok, and all the fish on this island