Metabones Speed Booster Adapter...oooh!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I could be talked into a Konica K/AR mount version if one came about for a reasonable price...it would be nice to see my 40mm and 50mm lenses achieving roughly their intended focal length, plus go from F1.8 and F1.7 respectively to a stop faster each.

I am thoroughly enjoying the Voigtlander Leica-mount lens too - it's a joy to use manually, as it's a lens specifically designed for manual rangefinder use - it shows in the design and smoothness of all the controls.

3. Roger

So FWIW, I'm going to try the new Chinese FD reducer. ; So 55mm/ f0.9* here I come!

*The NEX line never thought about it so it can't report below f/1.0. ; But it doesn't matter because this adapter doesn't electronically mount.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Waiting for your report, Roger.

5. Roger

Well they said it already shipped, with up to 2 weeks to come from HK...so hopefully I'll get an acceptable copy. ; Only have 9 weeks before my trip :)

6. Roger

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Getting the subjects to be semi-available for testing was hard tonight. ; The latter one was full available light wide open at ISO 25600 (some NR in LR4) but look at the hair detail on his ear. ; EXIF should be attached.

Attached Files:

7. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Hey Roger, what's your opinion on the adapter? I've seen the blue dot thing come up on a few threads and the softness issues. What's your take? Did you compare the lens wide open with a normal adapter also?

8. Roger

I haven't seen the blue dot thing yet BUT when I was turning down my exposure level in LR some parts of the image did turn blue. ; But that was at Exposure -2 and beyond.

Well the lens is very sharp wide open - just haven't had the chance to try it in a more controlled setting yet...perhaps this weekend!

9. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Thanks Roger! I wonder if the softness people are seeing is the adapter itself or if the adapter just amplifies the weakness of the lenses wide open. I have a Minolta 50 f1.4 that is soft and glows at 1.4. I would hate to see it on the lens turbo.

10. Roger

On further review, yes, this adapter does soften the image..at least slightly. ; Granted the Canon 55/1.2 is really sharp wide open (see the sample below) but the new softness isn't enough to say that this adapter is bad.

[​IMG]

Standard Adapter wide open (f/1.2), 1/200 sec

[​IMG]

Speed Booster Adapter, wide open (so f/0.9 or 0.95), 1/200 sec. ; Notice the exposure difference - it does make the scene brighter. ; Taken in almost the same place, my close up focus distance changed very slightly. (the lens can focus at about 2 feet via the index)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  11. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Roger the photos are no worky for me....

12. Roger

It was in a hidden folder on my site, I moved them...let me know if they are fixed for you now!

13. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Roger, thanks they worked this time. I just can't get over the DOF with that 1.2. That's crazy. I don't know if I could focus that lens. I could only use that on stationary objects and make sure I don't sway back and forth a little. I have been debating buying a K mount one for my 43 limited.

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

The DOF looks paper thin. ;

15. ELinder

ELinder Member

Wow, that's amazing. No way I could even think about hand holding that combo.

Erich

16. Ah...who needs a Leica noctilux when you've got this bad boy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk