New Mears Buses - possibly Disney Magical Express replacement in 2022?

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Nancy AK, May 12, 2021.

1. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Mears has new buses being utilized at Universal Studios, could this possibly be the next replacement for the Magical Express? We booked the Star Shuttle, but this is what’s being used.

Attached Files:

2. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  3. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

No need to delete it. I didn’t know Mears had announced a replacement either.

Don, thanks for the link.

Nancy AK likes this.
  5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Other contractor buses are being used for transportation, too. Cheaper than hiring back drivers? Funny getting into a Coach bus to go from resort to park. Seems a waste to me.

Nancy AK likes this.
  6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I agree, Coaches are nice for long trips, but simply not practical for inside-the-bubble transit.

7. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

It's not about whether it's cheaper or more expensive. This whole thing lasted so long, lots of the bus drivers that were furloughed last year had to move on with life and find other jobs to support themselves and their families. Now that things are ramping back up at WDW, as they call these workers back they are deciding they like the new job better and do not want to return.

Since a bus driver requires specialty licenses and training its not like you can just hire someone off the street and put them behind the wheel of a bus. It's taking way longer than they would like but safety rules require all of the licensing and training without exception. It's an issue across the state in countless tourism related jobs now. you can't just start doing something if you do not have the staff to do it.

mSummers and Nancy AK like this.
  8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Agreed, saw many "In Training" aka "Earning My Ears" on buses traveling around the resort and park locations. The people supply chain took the same hit as all the other supply chains.

mSummers likes this.
  9. mSummers

mSummers Member

[mention]donsullivan [/mention] thanks for the insight on the current bus situation. Have you heard anything on the Mears DME replacement regarding luggage service? I’m hopping they’ll keep the option to drop off luggage at the resort the morning of your flight home, but haven’t seen any details on that yet.

Nancy AK likes this.
  10. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

No specifics available yet. I'd encourage signing up for updates at https://www.mearsconnect.com

More details are expected this summer on how it will work and pricing, etc.. Right now it's just a placeholder that they intend to do it for both Disney and Universal

Nancy AK and mSummers like this.
  11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Don!