Nikon broadside: 24/1.4 AF-S and 16-35 f/4 VRII announced

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/02/08/af-s-nikkor-24mm-f1-4g-ed-af-s-nikkor-16-35mm-f4g-ed-vr-official.aspx

I use the term broadside as Nikon has launched a blow towards the biggest advantage Canon had left: ; Certain lenses.

Nikon reduces the prices of the old 28/1.4 AF-D (no on board lens motor) on the used market to no more than $2200 I presume, as the new 24/1.4G will be priced at that level. ; The 28mm hasn't been produced in years, and is highly sought after. ; This now becomes Nikon's widest fast lens (AF), as previously Nikon has not had a lens wider than 28mm faster than f/1.4. ; Canon has had a 24mm and 35mm 1.4 lens for some time; I'll bet that Nikon is also working on a 35/1.4 update of their manual focus lens, like the 50/1.2 AF-S in the works (rumored to be announced late this year or next).

The 16-35 f/4 VRII is the other kicker, as Canon has a line of f/4 L lenses. ; This is probably the replacement of the old 17-35 f/2.8 lens, as the flagship wide angle zoom is now the 14-24/2.8. ; So you gain 1mm from the old 17-35, lose one stop of speed and gain up to 4 stops of handholdability with the VRII. ; This lens, while not the incredible beast in the corners as it's cousin the 14-24, is still very sharp throughout at f/4 on the wide end but very sharp in the corners at 35mm. ; It has the ability to use filters (something you can't do with the 14-24). ;

I think in a small way, this is Nikon's message : we hear you, we're working on what you want. ; I do think they are working on a 35/1.4 as well as a direct competitor to the 24-105L that Canon has (perhaps the 24-120 turned into an f/4 lens with VRII). ; While a 70-200 f/4 lens probably won't happen (the non-VR 80-200/2.8D is still in production and is priced about the same as where an f/4 lens would be), I'm sure they'll fill that hole in their lineup shortly, probably at the same time the D700 replacement is announced.

2. Roger

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I do not need both....I do not need both...repeat....repeat.....dang....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Roger

hahahah I know how you feel Jeff!

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

oh, I want one now!

6. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

As a completely unrelated side note- I have been really admiring this shot since the first time I saw it. ; So I finally went and read the blog you posted a link to. ; The bit on the lighting for this shot was very interesting. ; He used a hand held shoot through umbrella with an orange gel flash and set the camera white balance to tungsten. ; When you do that, it makes the whole picture look blue- except of course for the subject which is in range of the flash and looks normal. ; That's a pretty cool trick.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Code

Code Member

This is especially cool during twilight, the sky turns to an amazing deep blue and any orange leftover from the sunset turns purple. ; There's a local photographer that I admire that showed me this at one of our local Strobist meets.. an example of his work from that evening

8. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

That is awesome. ; Now I have something cool to try with all those gels Code convinced me I should buy!

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I really want that 24mm... ;

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

11. Code

Code Member

That's a cool solution but overkill on price... if you've got a flash you can stack 2 full CTO gels to get about the same color temp as candlelight.

12. Roger

Yeah, but you can't use the *current* crop of flashes from Nikon/Canon/Sony for ; video. ; I say current because I'm sure they're working on it.

The LED light is a decent alternative for when you're shooting video, a lot better than the old fashioned camcorder bulbs from 10 years ago. ; He was using it as a constant light source that he just happened to also be carrying at the time. ; For when he shoots video with the D300s.... ; (I know he had that because he was shooting the 16-35VR with it, and left the EXIF intact on another pic he posted)

13. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Leo Laporte talked about those Litepanel products on his Daily Giz Wiz podcast a year or so ago. Apparently, he's been using some of them for lighting his in-home studio for their TWiT video stream

14. Roger

16-35 f/4 VRII are in the wild

A few places have some pics posted, it appears Europe got their batch today. ; I'm guessing Nikon USA did too, so the US stores should get them Monday/Tuesday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wspekner/sets/72157623343805413/

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid=5F20F1B7055C40DA92E55576ECB1301D&inv=8EC2D645E07B7A5&albumid={81A8D70A-10A0-4758-9AB5-EA96DCC8534F}&inv=8EC2D645E07B7A5

(obviously the first four images weren't taken with it, but it was to compare against the 14-24/2.8 )

The last set is from a poster at FM; he is thinking of dumping his 14-24 after seeing the results with this one. ; I looked at the corners (granted it was at 22mm) but at f/4 it seems sharp enough on the full size shots..... ; :)