People Watching around Sunset

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, May 27, 2008.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I enjoy sunsets but, unless something different is going on, I find photographing the people waiting for sunsets more fun.

These four girls where trying to get a picture of them all jumping in the air for one of the mothers to get on her P&S camera. After the first two attempts, I moved in behind her on a bench and took the next four. It was just a fun idea they had, I had to see what I could do. Here's my results which I'll be sending to them. The mother was very grateful.

[​IMG]

Well, I guess this guy can afford it! LOL
    [​IMG]

Ah, yes, who can talk past a flat, round rock when you are near water?
    [​IMG]

Her mother kept telling her NOT to get her pants wet. ::)
    [​IMG]

Oh, yeah, there was a sunset, too.
    [​IMG]

However, after a sunset (or just before a sunrise), the sky is even better.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Nice lighting. I love the last one. The sky is beautiful and warm but it seems sort of lonely the person by him/her self.

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Those are all great, but I love the one of the couple.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Brilliantly done Scott!

5. Scott, youre making rethink I should have gone Nikon instead of Canon. Beautiful quality! Maybe Im weird but theres a more "real" quality to the Nikon pics.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Scott! The sky in the last one is incredible

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Great idea and beautiful light. I've silhouetted people on occasion at sunset, but rarely just focused on shooting the people. Good series!

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks everyone! My only advice is to never overlook what's around you even if you are concentrating on something else. The sunset wasn't as colorful as I've seen and I didn't want to keeping shooting so I let my eye wander around at all the activity as people waited. Most of them left after the sun went under the horizon just when the light and colors became magical.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I've put a lot of research and work into getting my camera setup to capture colors and textures the way I want. I've recently been using Aperture 2 to process my JPEGs (yep, I don't shoot in RAW) and that has helped even more to get me the "look" i remember seeing when I was taking the photos. Don't give up on Canon, read, research and ask how people you like photographs from set up their systems. Then experiment to see what results you get and find your "look" along the way.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I normally don't put subjects in the exact center of a frame. I have a few with this person on the left and right but when I moved him into the center, it really brought out the smallness of Man and as DG said, the loneliness of Man, too.

Thanks, mSummers! As I noted above, the sky before sunrise and after sunset can be better then the event itself. Pays to be patient. BTW, I did not use a tripod for these images as the Nikon 18-200 VR lens worked it's own magic.

11. Kiki

Kiki Member

Simply beautiful! I like the one of the single person on the beach alone - pensive and moody and thought provoking.

12. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice set Kiki. Funny I should run across these, Sunset photos are some of my favorites. I have several I have taken offshore in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. I'll have to post them if I ever get around to it.

13. Kiki

Kiki Member

These aren't mine, Cooleo. I wish they were. The credit goes to Scottwdw.

14. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I must apologize to ScottWDW. I totally missed that. Still Very Nice!!!

15. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Really like the group shot. It looks like it would have been a challenge to photograph, but also looks like a lot of fun. Love the story behind it.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

No problem, cooleo! Glad you liked them.