POTW - Fireworks Friday!!

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by jbwolffiv, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

That's not a bad spot either, John. ; I really like the blue hour sky; it's always dark when I see IllumiNations.

I've been trying to find which countries work for shots like this. ; Germany is not too good, and I think there are trees in the way in Norway. ; Japan and France might be worth a try. ; The UK and Morocco probably have too many buildings.

I feel a research trip coming up. :)

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Dennis! ; Looking forward to what you get on your "research" trip next month.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The view inside Norway is not great because of the tree blockage, but might work using the Steve church to frame. ; I shot Illuminations on my last trip pretty much unplanned - I was doing night shots around World Showcase, and was going to sit out the Illuminations to wait for the crowds to dissipate, so I took a seat along the planter wall that rings the Stave Church...and found entirely by accident that I had a pretty clear view through the crowd and trees. ; So I set my tripod up between my knees about 3 feet off the ground, and snapped a few (10-24mm UWA lens, no ND filters - just stopped way down):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the world's best Illuminations view, but easily the most relaxed and comfortable I've ever shot - since I was sitting the whole time and didn't have to fight for space at the rail!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

While I will not be there for the Illuminations shoot for Pixelmania, I might be cool to spread out the gang in each country and see what they can come up with.

I will there a week after your October trip. ; I would be willing to try a country during Illuminations. I am thinking Morocco's fountain might prove to be an interesting foreground subject.

6. zackiedawg

Don't forget though that the new Morocco restaurant on the lakefront now takes up a sizeable chunk of the view from the fountain (assuming you mean the central tile fountain at the entrance).

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

New Morocco restaurant? Oy...still, might work. Got a photo of it, Justin?

8. zackiedawg

It's not open yet - when I have passed it both previous times, it's been a construction wall. ; Though last month you could see roughly how tall the new building is behind the wall, since it sticks up a bit. ; I didn't take any pics of it because it's not very photogenic...but there are pics and updates from last month here:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/10483/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

The past two trips, I've taken very few pics around Morocco, because of the construction and congestion. ; You can just catch a glimpse of the wall in the background blur of this shot:
    [​IMG]

9. zackiedawg

BTW - It sounds like it will be likely open by Pixelmania...just not sure it will be open before your upcoming trip. ; They said opening around the end of the year...maybe someone has further updates (I believe it is to be called Spice Road Table).

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks...I have my daughter checking it out this weekend for any updates on the construction. ; They said it would be open in 2013 but no firm date was given. ; That name is correct from what I have found.

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great stuff Justin. ; Sometimes its when you dont expect to shoot something that you get great results. ; I especially like the last on in the set, with the shells all aiming for the center.

Here is my last shot from the back of Italy. ; Very similar to the last one I posted, but I think I like this one better.

[​IMG]
    Fireworks Friday by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tinker Bell splashed color across the sky during Remembering…A Dream Come True fireworks show over Snow White's Castle at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

[​IMG]

13. zackiedawg

John,

I have to say, I particularly like the Italy one - it might be one of my favorites of the country firework shots, because it really involves a lot of the foreground architecture.

14. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Justin! ;

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Another from Disneyland.

[​IMG]
    Fireworks Friday: Dateline Disneyland by Scottwdw, on Flickr

I had read for years how it was not as big a deal at Disneyland to watch the firework shows. ; Boy, I must of hit a busy time or something. ; I got to the front of the castle 2 hours before and was already three rows from the front.

17. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Where did you read that? ; It's never been the case in my experience at Disneyland. It could be that the regulars get bored of it so they don't care about seeing it.

18. zackiedawg

Some from the BLT roof viewing deck:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Maybe that's the case but I have seen it stated a lot. Just wasn't prepared to stand that long and I still had people in front of me. I guess I need to take the Tom Bricker course in how to get the best locations.

I was a little put off by all the VIP seating Disney was using. ; Seems the best locations are now reserved for people who want to pay for them. ; WDW is also heading in this direction. Sad to see.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member