RIP Photoshop CS, hello Photoshop CC, only available to rent

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Roger, May 6, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I really don't want to throw gasoline on the fire here, but an interview with dpreview to "eliminate" some of the myths opened up something.

While Lightroom 5 will be like the others (standalone license), here's a quote from the interview:

"We don't have plans to make Lightroom a subscription-only option but we do envision added functionality for the CC version of Lightroom."

Lightroom CC is already being planned. ; Basically the future is that LR5 will have the five new features they've discussed but when the next best thing comes out, like their planned "post shot camera shake reduction" feature, you'll need Lightroom CC to get it.

Which is part of Photoshop CC, available for $29.99 a month, or $240 a year on a contract. ; Because Adobe knows this is irritating everyone, if you have CS3 or higher, it's only $120 for the first year, which includes LR CC.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/08 ... otoshop-cc

A semi-amusing part of this was Adobe's push to get DNG to be the universal RAW format. ; Who uses DNG without Adobe products? ; It would be like your PSD files being unusable because you couldn't afford the monthly payment to Adobe...imagine your RAW files being locked down too.

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Yuck. Bring on the competitors!

Erich

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

4. Roger

Yep.

5. Roger

Well, the day arrived: ; Photoshop CS7 CC dropped today. ; Pick up your copy for only $29.99![nb]Price is per month, excludes sales and VAT taxes. ; Software will not work if payment is not made every 30 days or if you are disconnected from the internet for more than 186 days.[/nb]

Be the first on your block to break your vow and get the almighty Shake Reduction Tool!

http://fstoppers.com/adobe-photoshop-cc ... r-download

6. Roger

I got a very interesting survey from Adobe just now. It really looks like they have taken a hit and are looking into something where you can use the software even if decide to cancel based on some of the questions.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

7. gary

gary Member

it'll be interesting to see how things go when i contact them, i had a hard drive failure and had to reload much of my stuff onto the new drive this week, and i have to call them to see about my cs6 upgrade i just bought 7 months ago as a download, i cannot find it to reload. and you can bet when they send me the survey they will get an earful about renting software. that's npot going to happen no matter what, i'll stay a dinosaur with cs4 and LR 4 before i go pay monthly fees. or i'll just relearn to process using aperture

8. Stitch

Stitch Member

Haven't been here in forever, but I've been struggling with this whole Adobe thing and thought I could find some insight here. Currently have CS4 - I think it's the Master Suite version (has Flash, Dreamweaver). Will need to upgrade soon when I get a new computer. I just can't decide between CS6 w/ Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign... or if I just hand over the cash to CC. Even trying to do the math isn't helping. And of course I have to do this by the end of the month if I want the discount.

Is anyone actually thinking of going doing the switch to CC?

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Stitch, are you sure you need to upgrade when you get your new computer? ; I'm running CS2 on Windows 7 machines at work. The only thing that doesn't work is the acrobat PDF printer.

As far as CC vs CS6 I decided to upgrade to CS6. Ignoring the fact that the math doesn't make sense, the issue I can't get past is the fact that you aren't left with working software when you stop paying. That is a huge negative to me.