Snow on the WMSR

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by mSummers, Dec 5, 2009.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

After waiting two years to get some shots of the Western Maryland Scenic in the snow, I finally had the opportunity today. Because of poor road conditions on the roads that lead to the grade crossings I was only able to shoot at two locations:

Helmstetter's Curve, shot from the cemetery hill.

[​IMG]

C&PRR Frostburg Depot:

[​IMG]

I'm really happy with how these turned out and I can't wait to go back tomorrow.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Awesome shots Michael!

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Wow thos are just amazing- I like the second shot particularly.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys! ;

5. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Great shots! I would love to see a little snow, myself.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Dude!

7. goofmick

goofmick Member

Christmas card material! ; Awesome!

8. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Fantastic shots Michael. I am partial to the first one. Definitely Post / Christmas card worthy!

9. JoePenniston

JoePenniston Member

Incredible shots! ; :eek:

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Michael these are simply Brilliant! ; Great work!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Let's see...what hasn't been used...

Fabulous! ; Extraordinary! ; Stupendous!

Put some nice holiday borders around those and you got yourself some beautiful prints and, yep, cards. ; :)

12. gary

gary Member

i really like the frostburg depot shot, helmstetters is good, but imho, you have the definitive helmstetters from your fall series/barn raising, just my .02 worth

13. joedisney

joedisney Member

Stunning images!! The white balance looks spot on! Lovely work!

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for all of the compliments! ; Here's one I took the following day at the C&PRR[nb]Cumberland & Pennsylvania RR[/nb] Bridge #2: ;

[​IMG]

15. gary

gary Member

now tell me that certain other railphoto site accepted that, if they didn't then i'll just quit trying, because i have nothing to touch that from any train scene anywhere, that is really well done

16. Paul

Paul Member

very nice shots; love the detail in the smoke

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

18. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

WOW! Seriously WOW!

19. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

dude, michael you have GOT to be kidding me with those. ; it looks like the polar express!

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!

Tim, since you mentioned the Polar Express, ; here's a shot from later that evening. ; #734 waiting to head over to the turntable after pulling the North Pole Express to Frostburg the North Pole so all of the kids could meet Santa:

[​IMG]

As an interesting side note, the steam engine in the movie was based on the real life Pere Marquette 1225, which is a 2-8-4 Berkshire class locomotive built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1941. ; The animators used the blueprints for the 1225 to create the movie. ; Also, they recorded sounds from the locomotive which were used in the movie as well.