Sony NEX users of TMIP!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

BTW, I think I am in stark raving LOVE with this Sony Nex. ; I will be posting some shots from the Cape May Zoo, Smithville, and Batsto very soon. ;

I also find myself using the special effects features a LOT more than I had originally envisioned. ; Can't wait to take this baby to WDW.

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

It is a nifty little beast, isn't it!? ; I firmly intended mine to be the second body only for lightweight use, which of course it's brilliant for when you want to travel light...but I found myself actually choosing it over the DSLR a few times just because it was so fun to shoot with, and so capable. ; As you well saw during Pixelmania, when I used the NEX exclusively on two of the shooting days, and both the NEX and DSLR on the other two days.

Looking forward to seeing what you're getting with it!

3. Tim

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Cool. Already planning to rent it for an excursion in may. (Local)

5. zackiedawg

I'll definitely want to hear about that one. ; I'm considering it - after the 35mm F1.8 first.

6. Tim

Pretty much once I add a few fast primes to the bag, it would be a kick-butt Disney loadout. ; I plan on getting the 18-200PZ when it comes out at the end of the month to take advantage of the Clear Image Zoom feature... ; would essentially make the lens look like a 400mm plus factor with very little image quality degradation. ;

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

8. Tim

Craig, it is a very nice lightweight setup. And the Nex is just so darn fun.

9. zackiedawg

Just that one last little hole to fill - a fast stabilized prime...either the cheaper 50mm F1.8 or the 35mm F1.8. ; Unless you can fill your fast prime needs with some cool old manual glass...just beware, as that little addiction can really catch you off-guard - the first few $10 manual lenses you pick up that are crystal clear and gorgeous will hook you, and next thing you know you've got 22 manual lenses sitting in the cabinet!

10. Roger

One thing I noticed this morning while testing for my excursion is that smart remote control does not work in bulb mode. And unfortunately you only have a wireless IR remote for the NEX-6.

11. Tim

Minor issues at best but still issues. ; The good definitely outweighs the bad though. ;

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I found an iPhone app and a homemade ; ir transmitter that works 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone...

13. Roger

Well the branded IR remote is 30 bucks but third party ones are less than 7. No big deal to try them! ; Just different because I haven't used an IR remote since my Élan IIe days.

14. Tim

Roger, did you ever find the dedicated mirror lockup button on your Nex?
    ;D ;D ;D

15. Roger

NO, but I have put an official request to have the Fn button to print directly to a photo printer! ;)

16. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The one I have effectively turns my iPhone into a wired release. ; I Velcro the transmitter to my lens in front of the receiver. ; Then plug the six foot cable into my audio jack so I can be behind the camera to shoot. ; The app then takes care of the rest. ; Can do everything from time lapse to bulb.

Sent from my iPhone...

17. zackiedawg

Does the smart remote not function at all in Bulb...or does it let you go to bulb mode and use the remote but it just doesn't keep the shutter open?

Have you tested the one-press to trip the shutter up and a second press to close it?

I haven't ever tried the smart remote function in person since I don't have it on my camera, but I do know I had to get used to the click open click close style of bulb on the NEX because I was used to DSLR style that tends to involve a continuous shutter press (or lock).

18. Roger

I was at Bulb in Manual mode and it changed to 30 sec exposure. ; So while I was expecting it to be push once to expose sensor, push again to close shutter (did you see what I did there), it just did a 30 sec exposure.

19. Tim

Touche'!

20. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Hey Tim, I'm glad to see you picked up a Nex. They are just so much fun to use and I just love the EVF. I like having a live histogram in my VF. What are your thoughts on image quality compared to your other cameras?