Spaceship Earth Refurb: Completed early or delayed?

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Ham Ham, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Conflicting info on some info I found on the net from 2 different sites.

One claims the refurb it taking longer planned. Another from April '07 states Spring '08 for reopening.

Walt Dinsey World Operational Update site shows refurb should be completed on Feb. 18 2007.

As an Extended Delay is Announced, DoingFlorida Provides an Insight into Disney's Remodelling of Spaceship Earth

Countdown to 25: Spaceship Earth to get Major Refurb

[​IMG]

As an Extended Delay is Announced, DoingFlorida Provides an Insight into Disney's Remodelling of Spaceship Earth

The Spaceship Earth attraction in Epcot, Walt Disney World was closed throughout the park's 25th anniversary celebrations in October this year, and will now be closed for several months longer. With some confusion around the change of dates, and great surprise around the timing, DoingFlorida's daily news service is monitoring the situation and asking; why the extended delay, will the changes be worth it, and will the refurbished attraction retain the spirit of the original?

Orlando, FL (PRWEB) November 7, 2007 -- One of the most iconic images of the central Florida theme parks is the giant Spaceship Earth sphere in Epcot, Walt Disney World. Spaceship Earth has formed the centrepiece of Epcot since the park opened in 1982, and the time-travel attraction concealed inside the giant globe draws hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

With an extended closure for refurbishment now under way, prompting gossip about the nature and scale of the changes being made, DoingFlorida (www.DoingFlorida.com) has been monitoring the facts behind the speculation, to bring the real story to Epcot fans.

During the summer DoingFlorida was contacted by concerned fans who were surprised to learn that Spaceship Earth would be closed for refurbishment throughout the park's 25th anniversary celebrations in October this year, remaining closed to visitors from the beginning of the summer through to 13th November.

As if this wasn't enough, Disney has now announced that the refurbishment will take longer than expected, and the attraction will not re-open until 18th February 2008. So now the busy Christmas period will also be affected.

Spaceship Earth is not only the signature attraction at Epcot, it is also a highly effective one - because of its continuous loading/unloading arrangement it can handle an incredible 2,400 guests per hour. The loss of this capacity over the holidays will inevitably cause greater pressure in other parts of the park, and it seems unlikely that Disney would choose to schedule the closure over this period.

There is also confusion about the refurbishment plans. Numerous sources are quoting Disney employees as saying that the attraction was always planned to re-open in early 2008, so nothing has changed. However the official Disney calendar was still showing the November re-open date up until just a few weeks ago. Some have speculated that this may have been to allow the anniversary celebrations to pass by before revealing the true extent of the closure, but it seems unlikely that Disney would deal with communications in this way.

But while the timing and length of the delay may be surprising, and a little confusing, details are now emerging that suggest the changes and improvements to the ride will be significant and will more than compensate for the delay.

Disney have revealed that the Spaceship Earth 're-imagination' is being overseen by one of the imagineers involved in the original creation 25 years ago. Bob Zalk worked on the attraction as one of his first projects in 1982 and now, as Senior Show Producer, he finds himself leading the team which is taking the attraction into its second quarter-century.

As you may expect, the refurbishment will include new lighting effects, costumes and set decoration, but Disney has also revealed they have created an entirely new 'story' to blend the classic scenes with new ones, and - significantly - added a special interactive aspect to the finale. On reaching the top of the 165-foot diameter Spaceship Earth dome, the new, interactive touch screens on the 'time machine' vehicle invite travellers to create their own visions of the future and then to see themselves in that future. This is a major change, and there is some speculation that this implementation of new technology may be the reason for the extended delay.

Another change is the re-working of the on-ride narration which will also be accompanied by a completely new musical score. The new score will be composed by Bruce Broughton, who has created music for many other major Disney attractions and films. On leaving the time machine, travellers can explore a new interactive area packed with new exhibits.

But before fans start to panic that the spirit of the attraction may be lost -- relax -- Disney has confirmed that the things that everyone loved about Spaceship Earth will remain. The smell of Rome burning and the 'snoring monk' will be in place when the attraction re-opens in February.

So it seems that despite the mixed messages the delay will be well worthwhile, and the new attraction will no doubt be very popular with both new and returning visitors. Following the recent removal of the giant 'Mickey arm and wand' and the return to the original palm trees around the Spaceship Earth area, the changes are perhaps more significant, and will have greater impact, than many fans were originally expecting. With some Disney imagineers now quoted as saying that the re-open date was always planned for February, maybe it's time to forget the confusion and focus on the new, improved attraction.

Official updates on the progress of the refurbishment have been few and far between, but DoingFlorida's daily news service will continue to dig behind the various reports and gossip, to give visitors the inside track on the changes.

About DoingFlorida
    www.DoingFlorida.com provides daily news and updates from the central Florida theme parks, along with tips and information to make the most of that special vacation -- including specific advice aimed at visitors from the UK. DoingFlorida invites travellers to submit their own pictures, news and observations from the theme parks to be shared with fellow enthusiasts.

Countdown to 25: Spaceship Earth to get Major Refurb

By The Disney Inquisitor

Apr 12, 2007 - 08:08 PM: Over the next few months, many changes will come to Epcot's Spaceship Earth. "A re-imagined Spaceship Earth presented by Siemens will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale which provides guests the opportunity to imagine their futures." Continue reading for all the refurbishment information...
    Attraction changes

; ; * Enhancements ot the attraction will result in change for every scene.
    ; ; * New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along
    ; ; * New lighting effects
    ; ; * New costumes
    ; ; * New set decorations
    ; ; * A new narration
    ; ; * A new musical score.
    ; ; * This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

Postshow Changes

; ; * New name: "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow"
    ; ; * Interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.
    ; ; * Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Timeline

; ; * Phase I: Opening later this month, Project Tomorrow
    ; ; ; ; ; o
    ; ; ; ; ; o An illuminated globe measuring 20 feet in diameter that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow.
    ; ; ; ; ; o Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.
    ; ; ; ; ; o Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens
    ; ; * Phase II
    ; ; ; ; ; o This summer, Spaceship Earth will go down for the aformentioned changes. The attraction will reopen in November.
    ; ; ; ; ; o During this refurbishment, the post-show experience, Project Tomorrow, will remain open
    ; ; * Phase III
    ; ; ; ; ; o The final two elements of Project tomorrow
    ; ; ; ; ; o Completed by Spring 2008

2. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I just hope it's ready to go by May 15th, 2008! ; ;D

3. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Sounds like it will be a well needed refurb. ; When we went on it, we got stuck going backwards in the dark so it wasn't so much fun. ; But with the kinks worked out, it would be a fun and informative ride.

4. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I REALLY hope that they add some sort of cushiony head rest. ; Man, does it hurt the back of your head on that hard blue plastic when it's going backwards...

5. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

I look forward to seeing what they have done when it is finished. ; It realy needed a refurb!

6. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

I'm so dissapointed it won't be ready for December but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

7. highland3

highland3 Member

It's open... at least for now! ;

8. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Yes I was able to see it at a sneak preview earlier in the month. It looks like they are way ahead of schedule.

9. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Sean and I got on it for the soft opening they were having...twice. ; I have some pictures somewhere of some of the newer things that were added. ; Of course they are home and I am stuck at work today.

10. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

11. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

There are some sneak peak shots of one of the big upgrades done on Spaceship earth. ;

I took some while we were on the ride...twice. ; The photos can be found under the Epcot folder in the photos or by clicking here:
    http://www.disneymagic.ca/gallery/showg ... hp/cat/502

The ones for Spaceship Earth are on pages 6 and 7.

12. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

When I last posted on this thread, I didn't have a trip planned.....now that I do...I am looking forward to seeing this! ; Hopefully it is good! ; Perhaps Ham Ham will let us know, as he is heading out and will be back before we go! ; ;D