Steam!

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ddindy, May 8, 2009.

1. goofmick

goofmick Member

A couple of my steam shots. ; Nothing as nice as Dennis and Michael. ; The first is the Southern RR #4501 and the next 2 are N&W class J 611. ; The 4501 was shot in 1985 when I was a kid with my first camera, a kodak disk. ; The second 2 are from the mid 90's with my first SLR, a Nikon N4004.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, goofmick. ; I saw both 4501 and 611 several times in the 70s and 80s. ; That second shot of 611 is from an interesting angle. ; Did you end up deaf and covered with sand?

For my daily contribution, we head to Oregon on a typical rainy day to see Southern Pacific 4449 pulling a beautiful train from Portland to the New Orleans World Fair in 1984.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

It's nice when they match the coaches and the engines paint so you get a nice shot like that. ; Thanks again for posting, and that second shot goofmick, does look a little close. ; I am hoping that since that was your first slr that you were a bit away from the rails for that shot.

4. goofmick

goofmick Member

The Saluda pics were taken on Saluda mountain near Asheville NC. ; That is, I believe, the steepest standard gauge main line in the US, between a 4.7 and a 5.3 % grade. ; Sand and noise were no big deal as long as we were chasing steam. ; I like the shots of the 4449 big boy, I believe that was painted as the freedom train for a cross country tour in 1976. ; Do you have any shots of that?

5. ddindy

Amen, brother!

I don't recall 4449 in AFT colors, but I do have some shots of 2101 doing its patriotic duty. ; I'll dig them out this weekend.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Hear, hear!

Nice shots guys! ; I hope to get out to Oregon to see 4449 someday. ;

Poly, I think SP4449 is the only steam locomotive that they painted like that that is still in existence. ; Most of the other steam programs had coaches that matched each other, but usually the locomotive was painted all black. ;

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Dennis, ; You might be able to get more shots of SP 4449 this year. ; They recently announced that they are going to take her to TrainFestival 2009 in Owosso, MI. ; Here's the schedule for 4449's trip to Owosso: http://trainfestival2009.com/4449-schedule.php ; ; Pere Marquette 1225 and NKP 765 are going to be there as well.

8. Scott

Scott Member

If you've never been to Steamtown NHS in Scranton, PA, you're missing a lot. I have a whole gallery of photos from many visits there: ;
    ; http://www.pbase.com/sdommin/steamtown

[attachment deleted by admin]

9. PolynesianMedic

That's a cool looking shot Scott!

10. ddindy

Thanks for the tip on Owosso, Michael. ; I'll see if I can fit it into my busy schedule.

Beautiful work, Scott. ; Your detail shots at Steamtown are awesome. ; Did you capture them in B&W or do it in post?

Today we see Reading 4-8-4 2101 in two different paint schemes. ; First it's pulling the American Freedom Train through northern Kentucky in 1976.

11. goofmick

goofmick Member

12. ddindy

Thanks for the AFT link. ; Now I remember - 4449 pulled the train out west, 2101 pulled it here in the midwest and east. ; I was a college student at the time, so I couldn't afford to travel the way I was in later years. ; I did get to see the 2312 diesel pulling the Preamble Express when it came through Indy.

Another phase of 4449's history allows me to do a Disney tie-in. ; (This is a Disney-oriented site, after all.) ; After completing filming for Disney's "Tough Guys", the train headed back north to Portland. ; It spent a couple of days in Sacramento, where I was working at the time. ; Here it is heading north out of Sacramento on Tax Day 1986:

13. ddindy

I'm going to do a double-post today to finish out this thread, because I'm starting a new job tomorrow (after 2 1/2 months of unemployment) and I don't know how much free time I'll have this week.

These shots fall into the "And now for something completely different" category. ;

First, we see Canadian Pacific 2839 and Southern 722 in Alexandria, Virginia for the 1979 NRHS convention.

14. Scott

Scott Member

Thanks, Dennis. Most (maybe 80%) were done in camera.

15. PolynesianMedic

Those night shots are terrific! ; Thanks for posting those.

16. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

More great shots guys. I am really enjoying this series. I just wish I had any to share.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shots guys! ;

18. goofmick

goofmick Member

Very nice shots Dennis

19. gary

gary Member

i too am a fan of gary knapp's work, i subscribe to railpace and railfan and railroad magazines, i usually attend eastrail each year, plus some local new york stuff run by various fan groups, i've been to cass although it was back in 94 and i don't have any photos from the trip, i've also been to the museum in roanoke, although they did not have the o winston link exhibit open at that time, they did have some of his work on display
    the magazines and some of the presentations are how i've become familiar with knapp