Strange Camera Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, May 1, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

My NEX-6 has been experiencing a strange issue and I can't seem to find much info on it (@Roger ....?)

When I turn it on, the first picture that I try to take clicks the shutter twice then bombs out with a general camera error, instructing me to turn the camera off and back on, which resolves the problem for quite a while. Once the camera sits idle for an extended period, the problem resurfaces.

Any ideas?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ha the Batsignal worked!

Have you tried different lenses? Wondering if that might be causing it.

3. Tim

Lenses and batteries don't seem to matter.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Strange...you say it takes TWO shutter movements when you first turn it on - I assume you have EFCS engaged - so I wonder if there's a glitch with that setting? Can you tell if it's actually taking two full shutter movements (flip-down-flip-up-flip-down-flip-up), or if it's doing the flip-down-flip-up-flip-down movement like ECFS is not engaging?

Haven't experienced that issue on my NEX-5N which has the EFCS...and is a lot older than yours. Have you tried a hard reset of the camera?

5. zackiedawg

BTW - Loving the A6000. Got it last week - what a beast. It actually can track fast moving subjects in AF-C mode as well as any entry DSLR - if not better. Quite something what they've done with this thing!

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I am guessing that maybe the shutter is unfortunately sticking. What is your setting for the electronic front curtain? (Like Justin said)

7. Tim

I will have to double check the curtains settings when I get home. When I press the shutter it makes a "click, click" sound then bombs out. Upon a subsequent on and off it only goes click then the picture records fine.

8. Tim

Glad to hear that. I was actually considering getting that body as an upgrade but I am hemming and hawing about whether I want to change to the OMD system because there are so many more lenses available.

9. Tim

"Camera Error. Turn power off then on."
    ---------------------
    This is a nonspecific error message.

Turn the camera off. Remove the battery pack and reinsert it. Turn the camera back on. If the message persists or over time appears more frequently, contact a Sony dealer or authorized Sony service facility.

10. zackiedawg

If you're still in the warranty, or got an extended one, might be worth getting it looked at. In searching, I saw two other threads on the NEX forums in *that other place* with a few people mentioning it happening on several different cameras - not just NEX6 - but obviously it seems to only be a handful of people who have had the issue so it doesn't seem like a common error...just the 'lucky' ones! ;)

Here's one of my quick tests of the AF-C tracking in wide focus area mode, pre-focus disabled, no lock-on AF, firing at 6fps, of a fast-moving egret coming at me then turning off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the EXIF all has the same time - this bird was moving about 25-30MPH - it gained about 20 feet on me during this sequence, which is over a 1 second period of time.

No way on earth the NEX-5N would have done this kind of tracking - and I doubt your NEX-6 could have kept up!

11. Tim

Ok, so taking it from Front Curtain ON to OFF seems to have cleared up the problem but it does make the camera click twice instead of once. I guess if it solves the issue then I should just be happy with it and move on.

12. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

NOT if it presents what you see as a second issues......:(

13. zackiedawg

It only semi solves the problem - it confirms that the EFCS is what is having the problem - turning it off stops the errors, but you shouldn't have to disable a good feature of the camera - i'd think you should see about getting it fixed. Has it been with all lenses, or just one?

14. Tim

I think its with more than one lens. I will reset it back to 1st curtain, swap out lenses, and wait and see. I agree that its only a bandaid and not even a really good one because I don't like the double tap sound of the "first-curtain off" mode. Double tap = double noise.