Tammy is a very wide girl

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Jul 8, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

We fit well together!

Just received my latest toy in the mail today...the one glaring hole in my lens collection: ; ultra-wide. ; Newly joining my collection is the Tamron SP 10-24mm F3.5-4.5. ; Of course, I haven't had much chance to use it yet, other than the obligatory new-out-of-the-box tests to make sure all is well. ; I really just had no idea how wide wide can be...this type of lens really is an entirely new perspective...even an entirely new way to shoot. ; The smallest differences in angles, side to side or up and down, make a completely different perspective and style of shot...learning when to use the effects, and how to best portray subjects in ultra-wide, is going to be fun! ; On my 1.5x crop sensor, the lens gives me 15mm to 36mm. ; I bought it mostly to shoot between 10-15mm.

Here are a few of my test shots, which impressed me for sharpness and color.

I am standing impossibly close to my house here - right at the end of the curving path up to the entrance...despite that, the entire path and most of my house are fitting within the frame:

[​IMG]

An example of that strange perspective - cool, but needs to be watched when composing shots at angles like this - here I was shooting almost straight up, which is why the wall in front of the house has that strange angle:

[​IMG]

Here, the grill of the car is roughly 1 1/2 feet from the lens...amazing I can fit the whole car in the shot plus much of the house and driveway too. ; Distortion control of vertical lines is quite good:

[​IMG]

Again...I'm nearly touching this pole, and shooting nearly straight up at the glass bulbs. ; You can see my shadow just about on top of the pole:

[​IMG]

Camera here is resting on the lip of the pool, which is 18'x50'. ; The handrail for the stairs is right at that lip, on the far left...yet makes it into the shot. ; This ultra-wide stuff is crazy!:

[​IMG]

This is going to be very fun playing with...I can't wait for the weekend to get a chance to shoot around town. ; Though I can tell already this is going to be a much more fun winter lens - because of the time I want to take to set up the best possible angle and perspective, I'll need cooler weather to do that. ; Florida in the summer doesn't encourage spending long hours in the direct sun trying to get the best angle!

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the new toy! ; Looks like it will make taking some Wishes shots well.

3. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Congrats on the purchase Justin. Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.

4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great shots - keep sharing!

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Thanks all. ; So far, only had last night to venture as far as the back yard...and boy has it been hot! ; Don't know if I'll be too inspired to wander far on a photo safari this weekend, but hopefully will at least get the opportunity to try a few more shots.

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Congrats on the new lens, great shots too!