The Night Sky

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Jeff Fillmore, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Is that really true? ; I mean- if so is there a reason for it? ; A quick check says we are in the top ten for population density but not near the worst of the bunch when you look at the numbers. ; Is there another reason for it?

2. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

These night sky photos are gorgeous.

Dan..I kinda like it that the tree looks upside down. ; Makes it almost otherworldly.

Jeff I think you made us all expando fanatics. ; :D

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Nice shots Jeff!
    One of my goals is to head over to Sanibel and get some night shots with palm trees, very similiar to your composition.

Cool shot Dan!

Justin, I really like the shuttle shot, even with the extra light. I like the extra light. It shows the foreground nicely

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

20-1 says the density plus humidity.

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

We've got many factors that challenge us when it comes to stargazing. ; First is elevation...we don't have any - the best sites are higher up, like high desert regions in the west or on top of mountains. ; Second is light pollution - if you live in a very rural area of Florida, it might not be as bad, but most Floridians live in the coastal belt down the east and west coasts, or the big blob above the lake where Orlando is...all with severe light pollution (both in numbers of lights as well as the fact that barely any use 'night sky sensitive' lights and covers). ; Another factor is atmosphere...we are humid, warm, and often with a marine layer over us - heavy haze, salt mist, moisture, and other atmospheric interference is nearly omnipresent. ; Then of course there is the classic Florida cloudy sky, ranging from wispy clouds to puffy clouds to all-out thunderheads and supercells that block all sky. ; Throw in some effects of pollution when offshore winds aren't blowing...south Florida especially has quite a nice layer of yellow/brown smog sitting on top of it that can't be seen from land, but is immediately apparent when you go out a few miles in a boat and look back. ; All of those factors make Florida pretty low on the list of good places to stick an observatory! ; And for casual stargazers and astro-fans, not so good either.

BTW - the night sky in Joshua Tree, California can be downright scary - the kind that makes you absolutely sure an alien ship is going to land at any moment, as the sky looks so impossibly busy with stars and lights that we cannot possibly be alone. ; On a moonless night, if everything is cold and clear, there's actually enough STARLIGHT to read a book! ; It's amazing. ; Milky way is perfectly visible to the naked eye. ; There's hardly a black void in the entire sky, as it is so fully carpeted by stars.

6. Roger

hahah I was right!

Our higher elevations aren't that much of a drive, and it is amazing how dark it is only 90-120 mins away from the city.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

BTW - since I cruise often, I always love the sunsets over south Florida as seen from the ocean...the main reason they are so lovely is the pollution (which colors sunsets nice hues of orange and red). ; You can actually very clearly see the pollution/smog layer in this sunset over Ft. Lauderdale from a few hundred yards out to sea:

[expando]http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/89132822.jpg[/expando]

8. Roger

Worst part of DL. ; Really. ; Nothing beats "brown skies" in your photos. ; Best time for photography is the day after a rainstorm. ; Really clears it out for a day.

Mountains? ; There are mountains around the OC? ; NO WAY.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

When I was in North Dakota, I took a drive with my daughter the night before I left and got away from her town lights. ; I have never seen so many stars but at -25 F, decided my un-weatherized camera would be hard pressed to survive out in the cold for too long. ; When I go back, I will have to try my hand at this.

10. Dan

Dan Member

I want to stress that I do NOT live in a good dark skies location. ; The shot I posted was after a drive of 12 hours plus some canoeing.

If anyone is curious about their local light pollution situation there's an interesting tool available. ; First off get Google Earth if you don't have it already.

Then use this link:
    www.aoas.org/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=59

Load that file into Google Earth. ; It's an overlay that'll use an image made from satellite observations of light emitted from Earth into space at night. ; They've used that and modeled the effects on night sky brightness here on Earth taking atmospherics into account. ; It's a bit old, it dates from 2001 and I'm sure that my area has become more light polluted since then. ; So consider it a rough guide, perhaps you might assume that your area is a bit worse than depicted, so you might have to go a little farther from major pollution sources to get to good skies.

Remember to save the file (right click on the entry in temporary places and select "save to my places") if you want to keep it, it'll initially only load temporarily.

The picture I took was in an area with the second to least amount of light pollution by the scale this chart uses. ; In comparison I live in an area with the worst, indicated by the color white. ; The scale of this chart has 8 graduations (the least pollution appears to be indicated by clear spots, so it goes black and then clear). ; Um.. here, check this out:
    http://www.novac.com/lp/def.php

That'll attempt to roughly define the various pollution levels. ; It uses the same color codes, mostly, except the last color is black instead of the clear that this overlay uses (probably to make it easier to use as an overlay).

In my entire state of Illinois the best I can get is blue, level three out of 8 (I'm using the color scale, not the bortle scale that adds additional divisions in the brighter ranges).

If I drive about 2 hours I can get to a campsite located in a yellow zone, level five out of eight. ; It appears that my astronomy club's better dark sky site is in a yellow zone too.

I remember a camping trip I went on in the mountains in Colorado a while back. The one thing I remember is how incredibly bright the moon was, I woke up in the middle of the night and the light against the side of my tent was so bright that my first thought was that someone was shining a car headlight at my tent. ; I was sort of in a daze and stuck my head out to find out what the heck that light was and was surprised to find that it was simply the moon.

I'm keen to get another shot at that but with my camera gear, there really is no substitute for getting less atmosphere between you and space. ; Also preferably during a new moon, nifty as the moon is it's kind of a pain when you're more interested in dimmer objects.

11. Roger

Thanks for sharing that link Dan. ; The lake area I was thinking of is in the blue. ; Not too much farther up it's no color at all.

12. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots Dan!