Tim's favorite airline is at it again.

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Scottwdw, Apr 6, 2010.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nickel and Dime!!! ; It is just stupid! ; This (and other reasons) is why I prefer to drive from NJ rather than fly whenever possible. ;

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I wonder if the next move is going to be to charge you to see their rates for a flight - even if you don't buy tickets. ; If you want to know how much Spirit charges to fly to Orlando from Newark, enter your credit card number here and you will be charged $5 to find out if our rates are competitive.

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Are they charging $1 if you print the boarding pass at home?

Sent from my iPhone...

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

....shhhhh.

don't give then any ideas.

5. Tim

Ahhh, Spirit, how we love thee...

They have doubled their passenger usage fee ("fee for booking online") to 16.99 per person, each way -- EVEN THOUGH THEY TELL YOU TO BOOK EVERYTHING ONLINE TO SAVE MONEY
    They have added an "Unintended Consequenses of DOT Regulation Fee" of $2.00 per person, each way ; (to counteract the new federal regulation that allows you to cancel without penalty in 24 hours)
    They are going to charge for any method of printing boarding passes except for do-it-yourself.
    They have or will be raising the checked bag prices.
    They cut the weight limit on baggage to 40 pounds instead of the industry-standard 50 pounds.
    They will be raising the "carry-on bag fee" to up to $100 (per person, each way)

I recently got 4 seats on USAirways from Philly to Los Angeles for $399 per person, round-trip, non-stop both ways (final cost of $1,720 including fees and baggage).

The comparable flights on Spirit would have cost $2,508.72 for a difference of $728. ;

"Ultra-Low Cost"? ; Kiss my....shoe. ; And did I mention that both Spirit flights would have had layovers?

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I really hope that US American Airways Airlines follows USAir rather than AA when it happens. ; I didn't mind USAir. ; AA has made me want to drive hundreds of miles rather than fly*.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Next thing they're going to be introducing pre-paid dining plans for flights, with 11-month advance reservation requirements! ; ;)

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I will drive to Orlando if I can over flying any day. ; I can save more that way. ; We even drove from NJ 3 times in 2009. ; Of course, those long weekend trips during the school year make flying a must.

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

We would always try and fly JetBlue because the first bag flies free. ; I will NEVER fly Spirit again, I can promise you that. ; The problem is, other folks just suck it up and pay these ridiculous fees.

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I try JetBlue first wherever I need to fly. ; It's nice being at a JetBlue 'hub' even though they only offer one flight a day (in both directions) to MCO.

11. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I heard that on the radio this morning and just started laughing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

My solution. ; Retire, move to Fl and go to work for Disney and drive to work.

13. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I didn't retire, but I did the rest. LOL

14. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Well we are driving to WDW this go around. The last time I drove there was our first ever trip for our Honeymoon in 1987. We have flown every time since but this time we just chose to drive. We are going to turn a 9 day stay @ WDW into ab 11 day trip.

15. Tim

Although flying US Air from Philly to Los Angeles last week was much more comfortable (and non-stop!), I did some checking on You-Know-Who Airlines and found the following for our trip 7/27-8/9...

Website Price - $550 TOTAL (not each) for 4 round trip tix from Atlantic City to Orlando
    Airport Counter Price - $398. ; SCORE!

Most of the savings was the $16.99 per ticket, each way, Passenger Usage Fee that they charge for booking online. ; They do no charge this fee if you book in person. ; Being that I live 10 minutes from ACY, I took a little drive over there and parked in the short term lot (1st hour fee). ; And the kicker, the woman at the counter was actually pleasant to speak with.

Pride is swallowed for the time being.

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow! ; $400 for four round trip? ; I know that I always drive when I can to save that money but I know that we spend more than that for all our travel expenses when driving.

17. gary

gary Member

interestingly enough i feel many folk calculate wrong when they compare air to driving, i use the irs rate as the minimum per mile, and since that is a year or two behind, that's estimating too cheap, then figure in tolls, easily found on the web, plus at hotel nights and the extra meals. and that's miles not put on the car, many do not take wear and tear into consideration, they just figure straight up gas costs for comparison and forget the extras, plus i consider my time valuable, any time i can reach somewhere in 2 hours in a plane vs 4 days driving, show me where the airport is.