Tonight's Moon

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Tim, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

From about 10 minutes ago...

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

• moon.jpg
      moon.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
  2. HW

HW Member

nice shot Tim. I just saw it walking Suzy and am getting ready to take one myself

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Beautiful!!

4. HW

HW Member

the sky darkened for mine

Attached Files:

• Luna.jpg
      Luna.jpg
      File size:
      281.3 KB
      Views:
  5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

What settings are you two using? ; What lens? ; Howie, I assume the 200-500mm.

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I can't for the life of me get anything close to any of these, no matter what settings I use. ; Great job guys!

7. HW

HW Member

yes John the 200-500

Jeff shoot in manual. I use ISO 100 and 100 at F11. ; I vary that depending on how much light is hitting the moon. Remember you are shooting sunlight reflected off the moon. I use the timer to avoid camera shake and you can always bracket too. also it is best to shoot with a partial moon as the shadow adds detail whereas a full moon is rather boring and lacks a lot detail in the craters

8. PolynesianMedic

Yeah I have tried that, and I always get a white circle or semi-circle in the image. ; The moon is always blown out in my shots.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Are you using spot metering directly off the moon, Howie? ; Any exposure compensation in play? ; Not sure if the weather is going to cooperate the next couple of nights but thought I'd give this a try.

10. HW

HW Member

11. HW

HW Member

Jeff if it is a white ball then you are overexposing it. try stopping down and like I said bracket a few shots. I am by no means an expert on this but that is what works ; for me. I used to get the white ball also till I read about using manual

12. PolynesianMedic

Well, I will continue to work at it until I get it right.

13. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I just went full zoom and Av and let the camera do the rest. ; You can also try sunny 16 since the moon is reflected sunlight. ; (1/ISO) at f/16 then adjust accordingly.

(from my htc incredible)

14. goofmick

goofmick Member

Both are really nice.

15. HW

HW Member

thanks

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Honestly it's pretty simple if you have enough zoom to make the moon large enough to cover the central metering area - switch to spot metering, it should perfectly meter the moon whether you're in P, A, or S mode, use the lowest ISO, lock exposure on the moon if you want to recompose at all, and shoot. ; Tripods and a timer are best, but it can be done handheld too if you are well steady. ; I shoot the moon a lot, and always have switched to spot meter for a quick and easy shot.

17. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

fantastic shots, mine always turn out crappy too, Jeff

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This is what I was figuring to do. ; It is very similar when photographing a stage show when the characters are the only thing lit while the rest of the stage has dimmer (if not no) lighting.

19. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Bingo. ; Same idea. ; You've essentially got a little pool of daylight in a dark surrounding. ; Unless your spot meter is too big to completely reside inside the moon's circle (also dependent on how much focal length you've got), it is actually fairly easy for a camera to meter and shoot. ; With a 500mm lens on a crop body, it's no problem at all to fill the spot meter. ; On full frame, it might get challenging below 400mm to fill the center metering spot. ; I've got big moon shots from 4 different cameras, ranging from 375mm equiv to 750mm equiv, and spot meter has worked every time.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The only lens I got is the 80-400VR. ; No crop with the FX body but I should be able to crop some later. ; The trick is finding a place with neat horizon features as the moon comes up. Haven't located anything great with the Light Trac app I am using. ; Man, I wish I was on the east coast tonight!