Tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by DisneyGeek92, Oct 24, 2007.

1. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Is there a way to take my tripod into the park with me but not have to hold it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well some tripods come with their own carrying bag. Some camera bags (mostly over the shoulder) and backpack style bags have straps to attach a tripod to them.

Or you could put it in a locker until you need it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I didn't think about a locker that's a good idea.

4. Scott

Scott Member

Yes, lockers are a good idea if you're going to be in the parks during the day (when you don't need your tripod), and then at night (when you do). I believe they cost $5/day, plus a $2 deposit. You can also rent one at one park, turn in your key, then use one at another park for no extra charge (as long as you keep your receipt).

5. Roger

Wait!

They haven't gone digital like DL's???

(You go to a central computer, choose the size, it opens the locker for you, your receipt has the passcode to unlock it.....)

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nope, wdw still uses the key system.

7. Roger

That's like shooting film. wow.

8. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

In January I tried to use a locker but my tripod didn't fit. Is there more than one size? If so I guess I looked at the wrong size.

9. Roger

DL has two sizes, but then again, DL's system is in the late 20th century compared to 1971 technology at WDW. I was able to get my tripod & monopod in by angling in the large locker. How long is your tripod when it's collapsed?

10. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Not sure I'll measure it in a little while.

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

WDW also has two sizes at their parks. The large locker should fit pretty much any tripod I've seen - they are big enough for a tripod, camera bag, bag of clothes, and a small cooler. Rumor is that Animal Kingdom's lockers are a tad smaller than all the other parks - though I've not used them. I have used MK and Epcot's lockers though. The small lockers will fit MOST tripods, though often you will have to put it in diagonally and angled up to down...the largest of tripods, or normal tripods with grip heads and such may not fit. The large lockers should be OK for anything, though if you have a large tripod with a pistol-grip ball head, you might have to take the grip head off.

12. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Last time we went, one of my relatives actually bough a small, very light baby stroller (even though he had no kids) and just used it to push his camera gear around the park. Worked out great, and blended right in with the rest of the masses.

The large lockers, by the way, should fit most any tripod out there. Luckily, I took Tim's advice and went with the Velbon Ultra Luxi .... it's so small and light, I hardly notice it when I'm shoulder carrying it. Fits easily into a large shoulder bag too.

13. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I will try it out when I go down in a few weeks.

14. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I just measured my tripod. Its about 24 inches.

15. Roger

Ahh. For example the UltraLUXif comes in around 15, 16 inches. I got a Bogen/Manfrotto that's around 21", to be able to fit in my smaller suitcase.

16. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Is the UltraLUXif the only option for a high quality tripod that folds up small? I'm hesitant about getting it because it comes with the head attached and I have my Manfrotto pistol grip already

17. Tim

the pistol grip fits right on top of the pan and zoom head and works perfectly. it looks a bit strange but no worries.

18. gary

gary Member

or remove the pan head and get the bushing needed to mount the pistol grip , that's what i did
    can't post a photo though, tripod is in hawaii on loan to my neice, who's using it with her canon sd 850IS, so it looks a little goofy with a pocket point n shoot mounted up, but i showed her the difference with handheld and tripod scenic with her camera and she understood right away

19. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Gary,

Do you know off-hand what part that is.

I'm wanting to not have to bring my gigantic tripod this time. It's just a downer to haul around the parks. I am always jealous at the ease Tim carries his tripod when not in use

20. Tim

i didnt know you could remove the pan head. good call, i was never too crazy about the pan/tilt head.
    good times just got even better.

pan/tilt off, pistol grip on. much cleaner assembly and probably much more stable. thanks, g-money.