Trying out a Benro Travel Angel tripod for this trip

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Code, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Code

Code Member

I considered the Velbon Ultra Luxi-L but wanted something a bit sturdier to prop up my 70-200/2.8. ; It's my experience that, at least with inexpensive tripods, if you're close to the weight rating, in reality you're probably already over it, and I am very close to 2kg with the 70-200. ; Anyway, I found the Benro Travel Angel series when I was searching B&H.

It's basically a much cheaper Gitzo Traveler knockoff, the 5-section legs fold upwards so that the head adds much less to the folded length. ; They make it in 3 sizes, carbon fiber or aluminum. ; I went with aluminum to save $$$, and the second largest size (model TRA169) to save weight (3.3 vs 4.0 lbs). ; I'm 6'7" so the biggest size would be nice, but 4 lbs seems like a bit much to hang off my already-heavy bag and carry around all day. ; The size I ordered is about 4" shorter at max height than the Luxi-L, but rated for 8.8 lbs (we'll see if this holds up, I'm weary of the included ballhead but I have my Manfrotto if it sucks) and it's actually 1.2" shorter folded. ; I'm not wild about twist locks but it seems all travel tripods have them.

It'll be here Tuesday, I'll post a review after my trip! ; I'll be taking along this for walkaround shooting, and keeping my monster tripod (Slik 700DX) in my car/locker for fireworks.

Forgot to mention that I paid $170 for it.

2. Code

Code Member

It came, and I think it is going to work out great! ; Admittedly, I wouldn't mind the tallest version, but my bag is getting really heavy so saving the 0.8 lbs was a good, good thing. ; Maybe someday when I'm rich I can get the tallest version in carbon fiber.

[​IMG]

Here it is on my Slingshot 300, and opened up with the bag as a weight on the center column hook

[​IMG]

(also new BlackRapid RS-7 strap hanging there, which is also awesome!)

Going to be a fun trip :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Looks nice. ; That's quite a few leg sections.

Can you show me the hook where the bag hangs from?

Also, I'd like to see the ball head up close.

So, what are you using for your background in those shots? ; I see a reflection.

Thanks,

Boris

4. Code

Code Member

Sure Boris, here's the hook, it is spring loaded so it retracts back into the column...

[​IMG]

And the ballhead (the plate is Arca Swiss compatible). ; It's not the greatest but it should work (and if it doesn't, I have one that will, it's just bigger)

[​IMG]

I've got a makeshift studio setup in my garage at the moment.. the background is white seamless paper, the reflective floor is "Thrifty White" tile board from Home Depot (idea from Zack Arias' white seamless tutorial). ; It's the same setup I used for my signature pic.

5. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Very nice. ; Thanks for posting.

What do you use for your lightsource in the studio?

Boris

6. Code

Code Member

I'm doing my lighting on the cheap (strobist style). ; I've got 5x Vivitar 283 flashes (bought all at once for an insane price) with cheap radio triggers (PT-04), and also 2 Sigma EF-500 Supers (optical slaves). ; Here's a shot I took when I first set it up... (I've since added more lightstands so I don't have to use a stepstool and a power washer as light stands ; ::) )

[​IMG]

7. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

That is way cool. ; Cars be damned, there's photos to take!

Boris