WDW's Galaxy Palace Theater to be replaced with ... Cast Member parking

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Northern Sorcerer Mickey, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Source: Jim Hill Media. http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/10/28/wdw-s-galaxy-palace-theater-to-be-replaced-with-cast-member-parking.aspx

I doubt that anyone -- not the choirs or the cheerleaders or all of the Cast Members that have performed here over the years -- would ever think of the Galaxy Palace Theater as paradise. Just one look under this Magic Kingdom stage at all of the piano crates that are used to help prop up this Tomorrowland venue makes it clear that this probably isn't the safest performance space on the planet.
    [​IMG]

So it should come as no surprise that the Galaxy Palace Theater is going to be torn down shortly. Though the actual start date of this demolition project seems somewhat vague as of this moment (Some WDW insiders are telling me that this Tomorrowland performance space will be left in place 'til January 2009 so that the Magic Kingdom can then squeeze in one more holiday season of the "Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas" show. While other folks are saying that the Palace Theater will be flattened before Thanksgiving), what is known is what's going to replace the Galaxy Palace Theater. And that's a Cast Member parking lot.

I'm serious, people. A parking lot.

Now -- to be fair -- this is only supposed to be a temporary Cast Member parking lot. Specifically for those folks who now work in the Admin offices that are located on Main Street U.S.A.'s second floor.
    [​IMG]

More to the point, a few years from now, once the economy recovers (More importantly, once the Imagineers finally get serious about revamping the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland. This long-in-the-planning project reportedly includes a rather large "E" Ticket. An attraction that's supposedly so big that it would then have to be housed in a show building that would swallow up all of the space that the Galaxy Palace Theater, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and the old Tomorrowland Skyway Station currently occupies), then Disney will make far better use of this valuable piece of real estate. I hope.
    [​IMG]
    I say "I hope" because the Disney Theme Parks are filled with rides, shows and attractions that were only supposed to be temporary. Take -- for example -- Mickey's Birthdayland. Which was only supposed to be in operation for one year, from 1988 to 1989. Now renamed Mickey's Toontown Fair, this strictly temporary new "land" celebrated its 20th anniversary at the Magic Kingdom back in June.

So please forgive me if -- when I hear that the Galaxy Palace Theater is temporarily being replaced by a parking area -- I think that Disney World Cast Members will then be parking here (to borrow a phrase from this theater's next door neighbor, Buzz Lightyear) "To Infinity and Beyond !"

Anyway ... As for all of the performing troupes that used to appear on this Tomorrowland stage, I'm told that these groups are now being sent over to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Where all of these dancers, cheerleaders and high school bands will then be performing inside of the recently enclosed Backlot Theater.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of which ... There's got to be some JHM readers out there who once appeared at the Galaxy Palace Theater. Do any of you have any memories that you'd like to share about the somewhat rickety Rockettower Plaza stage?

2. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I don't care WHAT E-ticket attraction it is and I don't care that Disney is a business first and foremost, CoP should be left alone. ; If they ever get rid of either CoP or iasw, imho, they've ripped out the very heart and soul of Walt and the World he created. :'(

3. amw

amw Member

My two daughters -- a tall 6-year-old and an 8-year-old -- have become thrill riders. ; :eek: They LOVE the Rock N Roller Coaster! However, last trip I took them to CoP. I always loved it and I thought my DD8 would be old enough to appreciate the change-over-time concept. Well, they both loved it. I was surprised that my DD6 listened attentively, and they both kept singing the song afterwards. It's nice to see that in a modern, electronic, sound bite world, CoP can still entertain a family.

I too would be very sad to see it go ; :'(, but the truth of the matter is that there are never any line-ups ... and a lot comes down to the bottom line. I remember going to WDW as a child thinking it was a place to learn as well as be entertained ... I'm not sure that's what the average American visitor wants anymore in a Nintendo-age.

4. realfam

realfam Member

DD and I love the Carousel of Progress, I hope they never get rid of it.

5. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

I am with you there Miss Megara, ; if they take out CoP I will be heart broken!! ; :'( :'( :'(

6. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Oh I totally agree with you there. ; And bottom line is (although most people forget this) Disney is a business first and foremost. ; So if the business decision is to demolish CoP, then that's what they'll do...

To me though, Zeus knows that they can AFFORD to just leave it there, so I really think they should. ; Again - being from the '64 World's Fair - it's the heart and soul of Walt. ; It's just one attraction. ; The cost to run it all year long was made in the first hour that High School Musical 3 was released. ;

I mean they took out Horizons to put in Mission:Space. ; Um, Disney...HORIZONS HAD A BIGGER LINE UP...lol

7. CoP is a favourite of my family too - we always pop in when we're tired and need a rest and a break - and there's never a line - I guess that's the problem, it's taking up expensive real estate - but we all LOVE it - even my 2 year old.