What equipment to bring?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by memoriesofdisney, Apr 21, 2014.

1. @ddindy I don't have one. I have not really done night shots in the before. Do I need one? Can you recommend one for a Nikon D90?

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

For night shots (or any other time you're using a tripod), a cable release is a great way to reduce camera shake. Nikon's MC-DC2 is the recommended one, although you can probably find several third-party options by searching the web.

If you don't want to spend the money (or if, like me, you leave the cable back in the hotel room), you can use the self timer with a delay of 2 seconds. The short delay allows the camera to stabilize after you press the shutter release. However, this method limits your exposure times to 30 seconds or less. With the cable, you can use Bulb mode and hold the shutter open as long as you want.

memoriesofdisney likes this.
  3. @ddindy Thanks for the response and recommendation. My wife went our and bought me the ML-L3 remote today. Is this okay? Is it any good?

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

It's nice for selfies. :D It's kind of tricky to use for long exposures; you normally are standing behind the camera, not in front of it where the remote sensor is. Try it out before you head to Florida. If you can get it to work comfortably, use it.

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

On my old D70, the sensor was in the front. You have to hold the remove in front of the camera. You will get the hang of it. They got smarter with the D7100, it has remote sensors in the front and back.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

that's awesome, congratulations! That is THE exact same set I have, except I have a sb700 flash

memoriesofdisney likes this.
  7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

At least for my July trip coming up, I think I'll be paring down my kit - leaving the DSLR home. My tests so far with the new Sony A6000 have been tremendous - what a fast little sucker, excellent resolution, great at high ISO and I've been firing down birds in flight tracking them effortlessly. Should be fun to just stick to the new cam, and I'll bring my 18-55mm kit, 10-18mm ultrawide, 55-210mm zoom with 1.7x converter, 35mm F1.4, 40mm F1.8, and maybe one random manual lens just for fun. On a hot summer trip, it'll be nice to keep the kit size down.

8. Could not resist. Was at the camera shop today and the D7100 was on sale. Played with it a bit and ended up buying it. The D7100 has sure come a long way from the D90. So many new improvements. Trying to figure it all out before our next Disney adventure which is coming up next week.

9. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I had the d80, then the d300, now the 7100; you are right, the 7100 is a long way from the d80/d90 days!

10. Luvscrappin

Luvscrappin Member

Does anyone know if Kingdom Camera Rentals is offering any discount codes right now? I have used them in the past and they were awesome!