What goes on inside?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by ddindy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I just found an interesting page on Youtube. ; Someone has taken slow-motion movies of various cameras as they take pictures. ; You can see both the mirror/shutter action and the aperture closing and opening. ; Very interesting.

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I knew there was a lot going on, but those videos are really cool. ; On some of the videos, I noticed the aperture opening bounces around slightly in reaction to the forces of snapping closed. ; I wonder if that could have any affect on image quality?

3. gary

gary Member

i'm thinking opening yes, but not closing as shouldn't the file info already be captured??, just waiting to go from buffer to card.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, that was pretty cool!

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I was surprised how much everything bounces around. ; But you have to realize that the movies were shot at 5000 fps, capturing every little detail. ; I wish he had done some showing slower shutter speeds, so we could see the whole sensor exposed at once.

6. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I don't think the bouncing around would affect image quality as the shutter has already cycled through. But it does show how you can get little slivers of metal inside the sensor area.

And with cameras shooting 9+ frames a second, I'd almost expect that the mirror would still be bouncing when being flipped back up. Would be cool to see.

7. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Those are very cool to see. Thanks for sharing these.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes, it can and it does. ; The aperture is open before you take the picture, and it does have to snap down before the sensor is exposed. ; And it is enough to actually trigger image stabilization in some cases. ; I know because the only moving parts for me now are the shutter curtain and the aperture.