Zebra: Patterns of Black and White

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Apr 15, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I have found that experimentation with some older photos sometimes yields nice results.
    I had an old safari photo of Zebras taken from a little too close - and from the moving vehicle the results weren't the best.

A few months ago, I was digging through old photos looking for stuff to play with in processing - just to try new styles out. ; I noticed how the zebra patterns caught my eye, and decided to try a close crop of the zebras, convert to B&W, and go for a high contrast look - extreme B&W. ; I darkened down the background distractions as well, and just went for the bold patterns. ; The end result I thought was actually kind of cool:

[​IMG]

It can give you some idea of how the lions on the Serengeti can get confused with all those B&W stripes herding together...trying to pick out where one animal starts and the next ends, especially if they are all in motion. ; Another example of nature's interesting way to evolve for survival!

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

nice!
    I like that a lot

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Cool! ; I like it

4. gary

gary Member

really nice b&w, and i'm not a fan of black and white unless the contrasts really grab my attention

5. goofmick

goofmick Member

Like it!

6. WDWmemories

WDWmemories Member

Very striking picture - cool!

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Justin that is really cool! ; Nice work!

8. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very Nice Justin. Those stripe patterns really do pop out at you.

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great idea!

10. zackiedawg

Thanks all. ; A good advert on why not to delete photos that were on the fence or average - someday in the future, an idea may strike or improvements in technology occur that let you turn those old average photos into something cool or artistic. ; And it's just fun to play around with old photos sometimes!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wait a minute...zebras are black and white! ; :D ; You really did a great job in making this pop. ; To me it looks beyond B&W. ; Very striking.

12. zackiedawg

Indeed they are. ; :) ; I wanted to go for a real high-key, low-key, extremely contrasty look, and all those green bushes and such in the background were taking away from it a bit. ; I just wish I had more zebra shots to play with! ; Those things are kind of wily - and I actually didn't see ANY on my last two safaris.

13. Kiki

Kiki Member

Excellent work, Justin! Really superb!

14. zackiedawg

Thank you Kiki!

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That is pretty cool Justin!