Crunch Time

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More from the Wide Angle Lens

Syracuse Crunch defensemen Mark Barberio being introduced to the crowd before playing the Adirondack Phantoms.
    [​IMG]

Elementary School Choir sings the National Anthem.
    [​IMG]

Adirondack Phantoms Brayden Schenn (10) passes the puck in front of the Syracuse Crunch net. This photo is cropped but still has the wide angle look.
    [​IMG]

This is the full frame of the cropped photo above.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Cory Conacher (89) comes out from behind the Adirondack Phantoms net.
    [​IMG]

Second Period face-off from the Media perch of the War Memorial.
    [​IMG]

2. fotodave

fotodave Member

I dont find motor driving it to death to help. ; Usually if you miss it in the first 2-3 frames, you're still going to be late. ; The jube/celebration usually makes better photos than "head down, going for a slapshot".... the follow thru photos will look better. ; From an editor's perspective, i want to see their faces more than i want to see the puck. ; (Plus thats what theyre going to want more from a PR perspective). ;

So if you see a player get a pass into the deep slot and shoot it, stay with the player and stay in the camera. ; Your ears will tell you if the goalie made the save, and get the celebration picture tight. ; If he did, they'll probably get a whistle and then look for the eventual pushing ans shoving in front.

Also, like the wide stuff from when theyre driving into the corners. ; Looks better then theyre facing the glass is my point. ;

Just keep shooting. ; As for the photo holes, just keep trying....

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks again, Dave. ; Here's a set from the latest game. ; Another home loss (2-1) to the Binghamton Senators (Ottawa). ; Will keep your advice in mind.

These are through the glass...

Syracuse Crunch Alexander Killorn (19) takes a shot from the point during a power play.
    [​IMG]

Binghamton Senators goalie Robin Lehner (40) keeps his eye on the play against the Syracuse Crunch.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch forward J. T. Wyman (15) is cut off by Binghamton Senators Jean-Gabriel Pageau (10).
    [​IMG]

These are from above the glass.

Binghamton Senators captain Andre Benoit (61) carries the puck out of his team's zone.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Richard Panik (14) gets poked checked by Binghamton Senators defensemen Mark Borowiecki (5).
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Cory Conacher (89) winds up for a shot against the Binghamton Senators.
    [​IMG]

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Photos from last night's game.

Syracuse Crunch Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) one times a shot into the net for his sixth goal of the year against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Captain Mike Angelidis (10) skating against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Alexander Killorn (19) looking to make a play against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch goalie Dustin Tokarski (34) celebrates his shutout win against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
    [​IMG]

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

He was too close for my lens to focus but thought you'd all enjoy this one as Richard Panik gets ready to plant someone against the boards.

[​IMG]

6. fotodave

fotodave Member

Nice stuff. Keep shooting.

Something to think about... all photography and not just sports photos.... as you progress, generally its incrementally. ; You generally have a rapid curve where everything gets better in a hurry. ; From there things get more and more refined at a slower pace. ; What was a portfolio photo last month is now something in the outfile as you get better and how you shoot and your style is more and more refined.

Keep plugging away and eventually you'll start finding and making those portfolio images....

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

^^^ ; That is very well said, Dave.
    Scott, these photos are fantastic. ; Keep them coming.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Dave. ; Two more games this weekend. ;

The team likes me to photograph other things besides the game. ; Most are not too exciting like puck drops, ads up on the scoreboard and ribbon boards and ads on the boards. ; However, they want photos of fans. ; Those are fun to photograph though I am usually set up for photographing the ice surface when I get to take them (ie, very high ISO image).

Here's a fan you might remember from a certain hockey movie...

[​IMG]

Young fans...

[​IMG]

Loud fans...

[​IMG]

Dancing fans...

[​IMG]

Oh, and I can not forget the YMCA fans...

[​IMG]

9. Pops

Pops Member

Great action shots! ; Nice to be able to make money off something that you love doing.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The Crunch have officially started the second half of their season. ; There will be more home game than road games this half. ; Now that I am very familiar with how the game are produced and what the Crunch are looking for from me, I have gotten to work more on my photography of the games and how I process the images.

A couple of heavyweights. ; Every AHL team has, at least, one. Syracuse Crunch Eric Neilson (29) squares off with Rochester Americans Joe Finley (2)
    [​IMG]

Rochester Americans goalie David Leggio (33) stops Syracuse Crunch Radko Gudas (3) scoring attempt.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Vladislav Namestnikov (18) takes the opening face-off of the third period against Lake Erie Monsters Brad Malone (42).
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch players Alex Hutchings (11), Kyle Wilson (25) and Vladislav Namestnikov (18) crash the Lake Erie Monsters net in late game action with the Crunch down by one goal.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch J. T. Wyman (15) tries to force the puck past Lake Erie Monsters goalie Calvin Pickard (31).
    [​IMG]

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

A couple more.

Syracuse Crunch Richard Panik (14) stick handles past his team's bench in a game against the Rochester Americans.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Eric Neilson (29) making a point with Rochester Americans T. J. Brennan (3).
    [​IMG]

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I called this Air Hockey but I could have just as easily called it A Flying Frenchman as the player is French Canadian.

http://youtu.be/zkZVNjGgJkI

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love that shot of the fight Scott! ; The video is not there.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, John. ; Fixed the video link.

15. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Old time hockey! ; Nice work, Scott.

I did one of those air hockey tricks once. ; I landed on a stiff arm and strained my rotator cuff; it can still bother me 15 years later.

I recently drove down to Cincinnati to take in an ECHL game. ; Got a front-row seat on the goal line and took my D700 with the 85mm 1.8 mounted. ; ; Unfortunately, the glass looked like it hadn't been cleaned all season, so I didn't get many decent shots. ; But it did give me new respect for the shots you're getting.

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Cool short vid!

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Highly cropped as I was behind the other goal (yeah that 24MP DX is looking better now). ; Exciting game as the Crunch scored late in the third to tie the game.

Syracuse Crunch Riku Helenius (31) kicks out Toronto Marlies Jake Gardiner's (6) shootout attempt to win the game in American Hockey League (AHL) action at the Onondaga County War Memorial on Wednesday, February 20, 2013. Syracuse won in a shootout, 4-3.

[​IMG]
    Shootout Save by Scottwdw, on Flickr