DROBO GONE ROGUE

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by gary, Oct 17, 2019.

1. gary

gary Member

so we had a series of closely spaced power outages last night lasting from 3-15 seconds at a time, several came right on top of each other. my drobo appears to be in data protection mode, i have tried all the internet things and videos, the drobo site etc. i cannot get it to stay booted, i did read that it may be in this mode for up to 24 hours depending on how many drives and how much data needs to be realigned?? it is an older 4 bay gen 1 drobo. it has 3 tb drives , 2 dated 2014, and 2 dated 2017 that i added later. my main question is not clear on the drobo compatibility, on if i need to get a new enclosure can i just move these 4 over to a 5 bay and will they be recognized, per the drobo site this only works if the firmware was kept up to date, but since i never turned it off, and i would check that auto update box when i set it up, why not?? i have no other ways to check for firmware version, the drobo dashboard cannot seem to hookup with the drobo,
    most of my photos especially since 2009 are on smug mug, and can be downloaded back to a new unit, although i will only get jpegs.

2. gary

gary Member

anyone have any drobo knowledge/experience? it has been 3 days now and still nothing but orange lights

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

4. gary

gary Member

i have been trying those drobo recommendations for several days now with no success, i used to have a netgear stora and when something went wrong in 2014 is when i discovered netgear was no longer supporting that model, so that is why i switched to drobo, i am thinking it is a power failure issue inside the enclosure, because it just keeps cycling between green power light and orange indicating standby mode. what recommends netgear over drobo, since it looks like i will end up needing a replacement

5. gary

gary Member

well i'll be , i think i actually fixed something electronic, just on a hunch i took the drobo off the powered hub, and ejected all my other drives and when i plugged into the mac direct, it prompted me through two firmware upgrades, and then to reinstall the drives, and i switched ports on the powered hub it had been plugged into, it is currently rebuilding it's internal data base from the drives, and it looks like i maya be ok here, the drobo is showing on my desktop again, and i am getting slow progress on the progress bar on the drobo dashboard. looks like it'll be all ok again
    i will be replacing that powered hub tomorrow though

Craig and jbwolffiv like this.
  6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Ain't technology great?

gary likes this.
  7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Glad to hear you figured it out - even if accidentally. ;)

I'm about to go through a painful weekend of loading/downloading all my data and programs...I purchased a new computer as my current one is a 7-year-old system running Windows 7...it's been pretty bulletproof and I had it built to pretty good specs for its day, which meant I didn't really feel the need to upgrade. But with Win 7 support ending, and it being so old, plus now needing some higher-specifications going forward as times change and technology advances ever more...I decided to just go with a new computer that hopefully won't be outdated for a while.

Alienware with a 500GB SSD boot drive and 2TB harddrive, 32GB Hyper-x Fury RAM, 9th Gen Intel i7 9700 8-core 4.7Ghz, Radeon 5700 XT 8GB video card, dual 850W power supply, and liquid cooling system. I'll still have the same external drive backup system, but I need to transfer 800GB worth of data from the old to the new, plus reinstall all of the relevant software (primarily Office, PSP Photo, all my Nik and Topaz plugins for photo editing, RAW converters, etc). It's going to be a loooonnngg weekend!

8. gary

gary Member

well ok, i came home from work to all green lights on the drobo, opened up lightroom and none of the photos are viewable, the lightroom collections all have question marks on them, the photo counts are right, looks like i have to re-import the whole drobo content to rebuild the collections so lightroom knows where to find a photo, but i already have that working, i have a chiefs council meeting to go to tonight, so drobo can stay gainfully employed while i am out and i guess i am ok with my photos. one thing i did do, rooting around in the drobo dashboard i noticed i did not the dual backup box checked, so i did that, it reduces me to 6 tb in each volume but now protects against a 2 drive failure

9. gary

gary Member

ok, all iOS better, i had clicked on the wrong lightroom, adobe recently redid the cloud dashboard for all the apps and there are 2 lightroom classics viewable on mine, and i did not click on the latest version, now i just need to figure out if i can remove the older app from view so i do not do this again