Ham Ham & The Hamette's NYC March '09

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ham Ham, Mar 13, 2009.

1. realfam

realfam Member

Great pictures! ; You should consider being a cameraman when you grow up! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Keep it coming, it must have been a great experience to be in NYC for the St. Patty's Day parade. ; I'm sure the hamette's loved it!

2. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 4: When the pubs opened at 08:00

St Patrick's Day Parade NYC. Haven't been to a St Paddy's Day parade since I moved to the Toronto area back in '86. The whole town was wearing green with ; lots of pickled high school and college students stumbling around.
    Witnessed a punch up out side a pub that didn't last too long. One thing I noticed since my last trip here in the early 90's is the amount of uniformed police officers on the streets. They're every where and all answer questions with a smile.
    After the parade we walked through Grand Central Terminal. Wow, what a beautiful train station.
    We then sauntered over to times Square and had lunch at the ESPN Zone. After lunch walked down 7th avenue to 34th street to do some shopping.

Arrival at 5th avenue 9:45
    [​IMG]

Waiting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yay!! Parade has started. iPhone take a few seconds to fire up that's why we're looking at the south ends of a north bound horses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cops, Cops ; more Cops & a few firefighters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sempre Fi
    [​IMG]

AOH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do not support the suggestion
    [​IMG]

Grand Central Terminal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Empire State Building from our hotel window this evening.
    [​IMG]

3. excellent shots - thanks for sharing

4. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Day 5: Good bye NYC

Packing, checking out, a stop for last minute souvenirs. ; A last day that resembles so many other conclusions of vacations terminated by a long ; day of traveling home.

Looking east along 29th street between 7th & 8th avenues.
    [​IMG]

5. Awesome pictures, really makes me want to go home (I grew up in the east village). It's been many years since I have been back. The Pizza, the subway, the people, the atmosphere.

6. highland3

highland3 Member

Hey Ham et al:

How about a summary report: ; What did you do that you wouldn't do again, what would you do again, what didn't you do that wish you had?????

Overall feelings of the trip...

Inquiring minds (okay at least mine) want to know!!!!

7. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

New York is much similar to trip to WDW lots to do, lots of people, little time to take it all in.
    Prior to heading down our days in Manhattan were planned out and like WDW you can't do it all in one visit.
    Any of the things we did I would gladly do again, but the next trip we'll do visit different parts of the city and different attractions.

Here's what I had on my to do list

The only thing I would probably never visit again is the Statue of Liberty which I first visited back in 1988, no regrets on the visit but I'm in no hurry to tour it again. The view we had from the Circle Line was enough for me. The Stature of Liberty is a great work of art but it is mush smaller than I though. Time is much better spent on a trip to Ellis Island more to see and more engaging.

[​IMG]

8. highland3

highland3 Member

Excellent info... as always!!!

9. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Really cool I want to go to NY so bad we will have to make a trip down now that we have a reliable car.

10. scratch

scratch Member

Can I ask the name of the Hotel that you stayed in?

We are planning on going for the May 24 weekend! ; Was originally going to drive but with $39.00 flights............I'll save that for another time!LOL

11. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Gardens.
    29th street between 7th & 8th ave.

Are you flying in to Lauguardia, Newark, JFK or Islip?
    Trip from the airport to the hotel will probably be more than $39

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/nycny

[​IMG]

12. scratch

scratch Member

We are flying in/out of JFK. ;

Right now have a travelzoo special at the Wyndham, which is on 34th but basically same area. ; They mention that they have a shuttle service for $21.00 but have yet to enquire if it's theirs or SuperShuttle.

Still up in the air as I am approaching the end of my 3 month probabtionary period........

Thanks for the info!

13. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Here's a post of my from another site about our trip this past March 2010 to NYC

We've driven to New York several times. There is no issue in driving to your hotel, parking your vehicle and using subways & taxis while in Manhattan if you follow a few simple rules.

We stay a Saturday night about an hour outside the city. We drive into Manhattan on Sunday morning, drop the bags off at our hotel and park our vehicle for the duration of our stay. Most hotels do not have their own parking but are affiliated with a lot than may be several blocks away. Expect to pay $25 to $50 depending on what arrangement your hotel has with its lot.

In Manhattan traffic usually moves pretty well. Sure it is heavy compared to most Canadian cities but your real problem is using the tunnels or bridges during rush hours. We usually trip to leave the city around noon.

We like staying in Manhattan because its easy to zip back to the hotel for a mid afternoon rest or drop off our shopping.

Here's some of my blog posts on our trip to NYC this past March.

[​IMG]

Mississauga to NYC

Five Guys

NBC Today Show Visit

[​IMG]

14. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

How was the food @ Carlo's?

15. scratch

scratch Member

Is it worth the trip there? ; We are heading back for the May 24 weekend and can't wait to get back to the Jersey Shore for some Deep Fried Oreo Cookies!!!

16. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

We enjoyed our stop at Carlo's the girls enjoyed the baked goods and seeing where the show was shot. I would go back again. Hoboken is great, lots of nice shops and restaurants. If you are a baseball fan the Elysian Fields and moments away form Carlos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysian_Fields,_Hoboken,_New_Jersey

17. scratch

scratch Member

DD saw the news report about the "bomb" attempt at Time Square! ; Now she doesn't want to go! ; Glad we aren't staying right in Times Square!

18. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Sadly the biggest risk we take most days is behind the wheel of a car.

19. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

What did you guys get to eat at Carlos's bakery? ; That would be neat to see. ; Did you get any canolies? ; Were any of his cakes on display?

20. scratch

scratch Member

That's why I'm flying down!LOL ; Plus less room for her to shop!