Jumping into the DSLR world. (I think?)

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WDWfreak07, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

KEH.com sells a 50/1.8 MF, AIS series E lens, EX condition for $60.

http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/NK ... 06/FE.aspx

Based on this page:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imagi ... bility.htm

You'll actually get digital rangefinder (so while it's a MF lens, the camera will tell you if it thinks you're in focus via focus confirmation beeps or lights in the viewfinder), but you can only use Manual mode for metering (the more expensive bodies can use aperture priority mode with the older MF lenses).

2. WDWfreak07

WDWfreak07 Member

OK, I will look at that one also.

Are there any other sub-$100 lenses that you could suggest for just having to play around with and to be able to take to the places that I may not take the kit lenses too? Either one techforless, keh, wherever, my parents would just like to see if there would be any other options to have that "extra" lens not for image quality/build quality etc.

Thanks for all your help, sorry for all the questions.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

NP on the questions; that's how we all learn. ; When I was younger I laughed internally about the "no such thing as a dumb question", but learned that the saying is basically true.

It's hard to find an even decent lens for under $100 nowadays. ; Perhaps locally used, and I know KEH has a bunch, (look under Nikon autofocus) ; But most probably won't AF with the D5000; just an FYI.

With that being said, in the last few years the "all-in-one" zooms have matured mostly; Nikon makes the cream of the crop 18-200 VR zoom, but it's $700+.

Sigma and Tamron make an image stabilized competitor to it, but they'll run $400-500. ; Biggest advantage is that you have almost the entire length of the two kit lenses in one lens....
    Disadvantages are the slight image quality reduction from having such a long zoom range in one lens.

Sigma does have one 18-200 model without image stabilization; ; It's hard to believe that it hasn't even been 15 years since image stabilization was even available for an SLR.[nb]http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/telephoto_zoom/ef_75~300_4~56is_usm.html[/nb] ; But it seems that you "can't" have a modern camera without using IS/VR/OS/VC[nb]All different names for basically the same thing.[/nb] ; Even though some manufacturers still sell kit lenses without built-in IS.... ;

IS is best suited for low light low-speed objects, or for telephoto use to some extent. ; You probably won't notice it during the day; heck I shot on film for years before I used my first IS lens. ; Yeah, it's nice having it, but it's not like you can't take pictures without it.

4. WDWfreak07

WDWfreak07 Member

OK, the only reason I was asking is because my parents saw that techforless had a bunch of lenses under $100 and they thought we could just pick up a cheap one despite the lower build/image quality and all, just to play around with and have for certain times as I said before.

I will keep looking, thanks for all your help! If you find anything that may be worthwhile for me to look at, please do post it here.

thank you

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You will not be happy with the cheap lenses. ; BTDT. ; If it's low light you are looking for with the Nikon D5000, go with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or, the less expensive, Nikon 50mm f/1.8. ; From your previous posts, you want the best for less. ; These are your best bets for low light.

The 55-200VR will do what you need from just after sunset to just before sundown. ; I can usually get down to 1/15th with a VR lens with good results. ; Look for Joe McNally's Da Grip on youTube for a good way to do so.

Now, once you get the D5000, learn how to use it and as you grow with it, upgrade to better lenses. ; Oh, how I wish digital was around when I was at your age!!!

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I would definitely tend to agree that you'd be better off spending the same money on a solid used lens than buying a new cheapo lens...even if you have to manually focus or meter (actually, manually focusing and metering is an excellent tool to help learn photography!). ; KEH is a good source, so dig deep and keep an eye on their lens selection as they get new ones in all the time...also, I think B&H and Adorama have used lenses occasionally too, so look around there - and of course the usual E-bay, Amazon, and Craig's list searches if you trust those sources.