New to the boards and excited about trying out my new camera!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ChipNDale, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ChipNDale

ChipNDale Member

Hi everyone!!! I just got a new camera and hoping to find some tips on these boards about the best ways to use is, how to shoot the best night time shot and other neat little tricks!

I have a Canon PowerShot A540, 6MP, 4 times Optical, 9 point AiAf (whatever that is ;D), and 21 shooting modes... I am happy to meet you all and hope I can get some really good tips so when I hopefully take my next trip "home" I will be ready for those fireworks shots and know the best way to capture the castle.

Thanks!

ChipNDale ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Tripod. Almost any one will do for your camera.

AiAF? That should be the same as their SLRs - AI Autofocus. Usually used for moving objects to "try" and keep the object in focus as you depress the shutter button.

Fireworks - Manual mode is your friend (M on the dial...unless they've removed it).

Exposure times will vary based on ISO speed. I think the Canon P&S use "Auto ISO", so read the manual. Tim should chime in. Coming from film, it was always set ISO 100, aperture about f/5.6 or 8, and hold open the shutter for a few seconds. But it might be better nowadays to use ISO 400 and maybe 1 or 2 sec exposure times to reduce long exposure noise.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. ChipNDale

ChipNDale Member

Thank you rlongenbach !!! I will have to try the manual mode on my camera. I will read more about it tonight!. I am hoping to catch the Northern lights tonight since they said we should have good viewing of it tonight. Thanks again for your help. And if anyone else has pointers please feel free to chime in. I am always up for new and creative ways to use my camera.

4. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

Welcome!!! You look very familiar there lady! ;)

That sounds beautiful, please post your photos if you do get the chance to take any this evening.

;D

5. ChipNDale

ChipNDale Member

Hiya MBabe!!! Oh and Happy Birthday!!! I was unable to catch The Northern Lights.. Another day I guess... :( I was very very sad I missed it...