NEX & M4:3 users: great deal on 2 Sigma primes!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Jan 17, 2013.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I was thinking of getting the Kenko 400mm e-mount lens (to top out around 600mm), but the 1.7x TC would get me almost to the same and cost a bit less. ; And the I could use it with any of the other nex lenses.

Sent from my iPhone...

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Roger just reminded me on one key feature to alleviate some of this... ; Clear image zoom. ;
    Get the new 18-200 on standby, baby!

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

LOL. I think you and I are the only ones with that feature so far!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Yep - I don't have that one!

5. Tim

Doesn't Harry have a 6 also?

6. Roger

I think Harry went back to Nikon with a D600.

7. Tim

Traitor!

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I cant wait to get to a store and look at these new sony's!
    One day I may post a "for sale" on a used d300, 18-200, and 80-400

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Justin, what was the price range for your Teleconverter? ; I see it on amazon any where between $99-$299. ; Seems like quite the range in price for the same item.

Sent from my iPhone...

10. Roger

Red, Sony no longer makes it hence the price issue. I got mine from KEH for about 80. EBay is around 100 or so.

11. zackiedawg

Yeah - I take some of the blame on that one - I'm both a little sorry for it, and also a little proud of it in a way. ; ;) ; I actually already had the converter sitting gathering dust in its box in my closet - I used to use it with my H5 superzoom years ago. ; I pulled it out and decided to try it with the NEX on the off-chance it might work, and it worked so well I started posting the results on some photo forums. ; It's an out-of-production extender, but they were still lying around at some used stores and places, usually for $80-100 or so. ; But a lot of NEX users from one of the big photo forums started actively hunting for them after I started posting my threads, and many of them were quickly snapped up. ; Any that were still out there ended up going up in price due to the sudden demand and keyword activity on the net, and a few of those less scrupulous folks picked up several and turned around to sell them on eBay for a lot more.

Like anything out of production, the price is what the used market will bear - and as stock dwindled and popularity rose, the price went up. ; I think it would be fair personally in the $100 range, and up to around $150 or so - which is fairly close to their price when new. ; I don't personally think I'd spend more than $150 for one, so those higher prices I wouldn't mess with. ; If you can find an eBay one around $100, that's pretty solid - just make absolutely positive for sure you're getting the DH1758, not a 'DH1758-equivalent'...which is likely going to be one of the cheap 'Crystal Optics/Sakar/etc' Chinese knockoff extenders...some of the eBayers who know folks are looking for 'DH1758' have started putting that in their descriptions or titles when they're selling cheap knockoffs.

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The one I saw on Amazon says it is sold by Sony, so I am wondering if it is final overstock. ; But I did see a lot of "combo kits" that were definitely knockoffs.

Sent from my iPhone...

13. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

So I take that back about it being sold by Sony. ; It looks to a company name DB Roth out of New Jersey. ; They have 25K+ positive reviews and very few neutral/negative, so I would assume it is not a knockoff product. ; Has anyone heard of this company (being on the East Coast and all)?

Sent from my iPhone...

14. Roger

they have an F rating with the BBB.

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Then I guess I will not be buying that one. ; Thanks for the info Roger.

Sent from my iPhone...

16. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Just picked up the slightly heavier HG1758 for $45 on ebay. ; Says I should have it sometime this weekend or early next week. ; Now I just need to get the step-down ring. ; Cant wait to try it out in two weeks.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

17. zackiedawg

There's a NEX shooter over on dp review who just got his HG1758 - he said optically it is about the same as the DH1758 (he has both) - but is larger and heavier. ; He noted he feels the need to support the HG1758 when attached to the lens, whereas with the DH1758 he's confident letting it hang on its own (I use mine free of support too). ; So the good news seems to be that optically it seems in one person's opinion to be similar to the DH.

18. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

It is 9oz (DH) compared to 15oz (HG)...

19. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I am thinking that the HG might have less vignetting at the lower zoom lengths since it has a wider lens (96mm width compared to 73mm).