Nikon D3s

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mPower, Oct 13, 2009.

1. mPower

mPower Member

Well, it's official. This week Nikon will release the D3s.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPa ... age=870000

Features include:
    ISO 200-12,800 with a bump to Hi-3 (102,400 - Take that Mr. HM Caretaker!)
    HD Video (1280x720 24fps)
    Sensor Cleaner
    New Viewfinder

I do, however, hope that the street price is less then the $6,700 it seems to be (4200 British Pounds).

Cheers!

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yep, the BJP broke the embargo early I see.

Nikon must have a source at Canon; I sincerely believe the 1DMkIV is going to be announced this month. ; And available at CES 2010.

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Heck, that should be able to see ultraviolet light...haha

4. Roger

The killer PJ option is being able to pull JPEGs from the video without stopping the video; I can definitely see the new media using that. ; They already want small video with still shots but don't need 20+ mp.

5. Grumpwurst

What does PJ stand for?

6. Roger

photo journalist

7. Roger

now come on lenses!

8. Roger

9. Roger

I doubt it. ; (Correction: ; Rob G is stating $5199.95, so I was wrong about that one thing, but again, the UK is getting shafted....)

It's a NEW sensor. ; Yes, it used the other FX sensor as the template, but now I know why there won't be a D700x...because they'll be releasing a D700s next year. ; At least in Nikon's eyes the MP war is over. ; I wonder what Canon is going to do with a 16mp 1DMkIV.....

10. mPower

mPower Member

I think it's just like a few of the mags have stated: nikon is going real world available light, canon is going max res with perfect light (over simplified).

Good to see the price is $5,200 it will sell! Now I wonder too if the D3x will come down a bit more.

I was hoping they were going to release a rumored 24 1.4, and they still may, but the 85 micro dx doesn't do much for me.

More to come I am sure!

11. Roger

Yeah, Thom Hogan is a little surprised too. ; Based on his comments on his and another forum, he seems to have info that either a 24/1.4 or a 35/1.4 is being produced and there are early production copies in the wild.

That and the new 85/1.4, since the patent was found by people with nothing better to do. ; Then again, they also found the new 85 DX lens patent as well.

12. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Is the weather sealing better on this than the D3? ; I was doing a D700/D3/D3s side-by-side comparrison on DPR and noticed this one is listed as 'Environmentally Sealed' but the D700 & D3 say no. ;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare ... s&show=all

Aside from that I guess it is pretty much a D3 with video- one stop better base ISO- and a crazy high push ISO? ; I wonder what 102,400 looks like- I never use the 25,600 on my D700 because it looks so horrible.

I was thinking about saving for a D700s for video but maybe picking up a cheap used D90 may be a better idea.

13. mPower

mPower Member

This from the brochure: Assured protection against invasive
    moisture, dust and even electromagnetic
    interference. A comprehensive series
    of O-rings and other specialized seals,
    combined with additional Nikon
    engineering, keeps you shooting when
    lesser cameras would fail.

14. Roger

You don't? ; I use it for emergencies, but if you are shooting a properly exposed scene, it's actually (to me at least) the same as the old days of ISO1600 color film.

If you want video, I think some one who uses a lot of Nikon stuff ended up with a D5000 instead of a D90. ; Or wait until the D700s. ; I see that the D3s will allow the max ISO in video, and one of the Auto-ISO options in the video mode is 6400-102500. (only, the other mode is 200-12800)

15. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

No- I have my auto-iso set to top out at 12,800. ; The few times I have went all the way up it was unusable- but that could be just because whatever it was was still too dark and not properly exposed.

I have had in my head for a while I would like to do some on-ride Disney videos with either a fisheye or uwa- most of the ones you see online are shot with p&s cameras and don't give you much of that on-the-ride feeling that I think a wider perspective would offer. ; I wonder what the RnRC would look like with a D3s/14-24/2.8 video at ISO 102,500- or how about EE at night. ; :D

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

So I wonder...would ISO102,400 and EV+3 be sort of like an extra boosted 819,200 ISO? ; With an F1.2 or 1.4 lens, that would be capable of shooting a subject in pitch black room, through a brick wall? ; We're getting scary close to ISO1,000,000+...just a little over 3 stops away!

It's all fun and cool...but way out of my league in price and size. ; I'm happy if I can get usable ISO12800 for under $1,000. ; Don't want to be a photo journalist, and don't want video in my DSLR...and don't even need a full frame. ; Just want small, light, portable, cheap, and capable. ; Let the big boys play with these huge expensive beasts, and I'll just admire the results from afar!

17. Grumpwurst

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'm not that excited about having video in a DSLR either. ; But the ISO12800 is interesting... ; The sample shots don't look that bad. ;

19. Grumpwurst

I agree with Scott Bourne that the convergence between dSLR & vSLR is inevitable and I'm personally pretty excited about it considering there isn't much difference between a digital video camera and a digital camera other than the software that stores the final product.

I personally am getting tired of carrying both a High Def video camera and my dSLR so I'd be all for upgrading to a camera that does both and does them well.

I know that Tim and Greg (ImagineeringMyWay) are starting to grow fond of the video capabilities of the Mark II's

20. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I have had several occasions when I wished I had video. ; Earlier this year the Dapper Dans spotted my 5yo daughters birthday pin and came right up and sang happy birthday to her personally- that was the first time I was really a little ticked that my D700 does not have video- yet a D90 does (released 1 month later for about 1/3 the price.) ; I would probably not use it a bunch- but why not have it if you need it?