Nikon D700 Test Drive

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Scottwdw, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have the older 50/1.8. ; I was having problems where my Nikkor 50/1.8 was taking crappier photos at 1.8 on dark rides than my 18-200VR was taking at higher worse apertures and worse than on the same ride but shooting with my D80.

I talked to the Nikkor representative said he was under the belief that the older 50 lenses (1.4/1.8) weren't optimized to work on the D300.

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nikon did change the glass, however it's only a very slight increase in resolution in the center, more evident at the corners, but it's probably not worth the upgrade from the D to the G model.

As for the older lenses not being optimized, that's a load of...the 85/1.8D hasn't been updated and it works great. ;

I would only upgrade the 50/1.4D if they improved the flare control. ; Which I don't think they did.

3. Grumpwurst

How do you know if it's AF-S? ; The lens says "Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D".

The problem isn't noise that I noticed because I got better shots on my D80 than my D300. ; It was a general lack of crispness and inability to focus in comparison to my D80 which just seemed to lock right onto subjects

4. Grumpwurst

What would you upgrade to if you currently had the 1.8D?

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

D lenses are not AF-S. ; The 18-200 is AF-S for silent wave and is very quiet when focusing and the lens focuses internally. ; The 50mm F1.8 rotates the outer lens ring and is noisy in comparison. ; So is my 80-400VR which is a D model also.

6. Grumpwurst

Yes, it's noisy and yes it rotates the outer lens. ; I often get my finger in the way ; and that rough texture of the "focus ring" gets a beating :)

7. Roger

Hmm. ; Probably the new G model, and the only reason is that it can't be any worse than the D version. ; I love the 85/1.8D, but the 50 only comes out when I need a little more width.

Now if they would only release a 35/1.8......

8. Grumpwurst

I see there is a AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens listed as being new on the Nikon website (http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Pro ... F1.8G.html).

Is that something I should give consideration to?

9. Roger

Not if you are planning FX in your near future. ; However, the cost is right for a decent 50/1.8 after the crop factor, and this lens is getting very positive reviews.

10. Grumpwurst

Well, even if I go FX, I'll still keep the D300 or the D80 as a backup (or both), so the lens wouldn't be a total waste. ; But, I see your point. ; My current AF 50/1.8 is FX compliant and so is the new AF-S 50/1.4. ; I just want a bit more reach when I'm on those dark rides like Space Ship Earth where the ride vehicle is just a tad too close when you are using the 50mm on a DX camera

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Your next problem is finding a 35mm DX f/1.8. ; I hear it's in high demand. ; You might have better luck with a local camera store. ; It's currently on backorder at B&H and many other online stores.

12. Grumpwurst

Yeah, that's why that thread about the joys of impulse buying is so exciting is because the original poster walked into his local camera store and found it in stock. ; I might have to give them a ring and see. ; Or just go with the 50/1.4. ; Tough decision. ; More reach with same light sensitivity or same reach but more sensitive to light (so I can get better dark ride shots...haha)

13. gary

gary Member

wonder what's up with b&h right now with stock, i'm sitting here with the $ for the canon 135mm f2 L just burning a hole in my pocket, heck, i'm almost at the 35mm f1.4 L, and if it doesn't show by mid july, i'll have the 24mm f1.4 L mark ii, i just keep plugging along working 1 extra shift per week and dedicating it to gary's photography fund
    for whatever reason, many of the L grade lenses are out of stock right now

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

So, why would someone, even a good friend, let me use his Nikon D700 for a couple of weeks? ; You see, his daughter was getting married. ; I think you can guess the rest of the story from there.

[​IMG]

15. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

scott, being the warm-hearted guy that i am, i figure i would save you the trouble... ; ;)
    CLICK HERE.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Or get me in trouble! ; ;D ; Not quite there yet. ; Had to sink some major money into my daughter's car last week I wasn't expecting which will push this purchase back a bit.