Old Key West - overlooked beauty

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Oct 18, 2008.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

How to you perform that nice fading transition from dark sky to light? ; That's been my challenge. ; I've got a few other day/night shots that are the same, but I can't get the blend down very well.

For example, I tried here, but can't get a blend of skies to transition over nicely:

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

2. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Justin, I've only done one image like that (and mine were TERRIBLY OFF so it was a pain in the ass), but here's the method I used: http://www.elated.com/articles/fading-o ... o-another/

No clue if there is another method, but that one is pretty easy, once you align.

3. zackiedawg

Thank you...that seems to do the trick! ; I don't often use masks in layers, so I wasn't even thinking of that. ; I tried a quick-n-dirty, and it definitely makes a nice gradient transition, though I'll have to tweak a bit to get it just right on the blend. ; Tim's right on the OKW shots though...they would require a lot of layer deforming to try to match them as they aren't exact.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shots Justin! ; I stayed there once. ; My Dad worked for a company that gave out DVC points as an employee benefit. ; I remember the rooms were huge, especially when compared to the regular hotel rooms.

5. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Old Key West is our "home" resort and we LOVE it! The 1-BR is HUGE for a family of four and we're planning to do a 3-BR Grand Villa for a big family vacation next year. So, we'll see how that goes.

But, the OKW resort is just beautiful, calm and inviting. Our family loves to eat at Olivia's Cafe and the main pool is very nice as well. Just an overall 'hidden gem' as someone put it in this thread.

Here are a couple of my pictures (take it easy, I'm a novice) that I wanted to share....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with those for a first effort, arny. ; I would like to see the dolphin at the pool not cut off. ; Just some to think about for next time. ; We will be there in just 2 more days. ;

7. zackiedawg

Exactly...fine effort indeed. ; You seem to have the first and most important thing for photography - a decent eye for composition. ; Most folks don't even think about that when they snap a photo - so with some learning of the techniques, a few things to look out for or improve, you could be a fine photographer indeed! ; You've got a head start, because the 'eye' is the hardest thing to develop - it may not even be something that is teachable. ; Framing, lighting, crooked horizons, blown highlights...those are all easy to learn.

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Thanks guys, I was hoping to get some critiques because that's the only way to get better! :)

I have more pics, but these were probably some of the better ones from that trip.