Peter Pan's Flight Setting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by RedOctober25, Nov 7, 2014.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Okay, I have my NEX-7 and a FP+ for Peter Pan. Which lens and settings should I use to get the best photos?

Lenses: 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm (not sure of lowest f-stop), 16mm Wide/Fisheye, 55-210 (f4.5 maybe).

Which mode would be best to use? (P/A/S)

Figuring high enough ISO, but not maxed due to noise.

Just wanting to have as much of the camera preset before hoping on so I'm not adjusting settings for most of the ride.

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I would absolutely go with your 50 1.8 and shutter priority. Then hope an pray! I still have not gotten a workable image from that attraction. Good luck!!

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

My recommendation is to search these forums and Flickr, then check the EXIF info on any shots you like to see what settings the photographer used. For example, this shot was 1/30 sec, f/1.8, 85mm, ISO 6400 using my full-frame D700. And it was probably cropped.

[​IMG]
    High over London

4. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

I've done a bunch of spray and prays with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and it's really difficult going from the bright outdoors to the darkness of that ride. I think a good tip is to cover your eyes as best as possible so you're already adjusted to the dark, then go with the AI-Servo function on your camera.

Oddly the shot below was on my 70-200 f/2.8 at 1/25 at 32mm but the ISO was cranked to 12800, so that's probably not optimal. It really is about getting on the ride over and over again, but having a fast lens and using servo focus definitely increases the odds of getting a usable photo.

[​IMG]