POTD: Lyrics Imagined

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by hulagirl, Mar 20, 2010.

1. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I'm totally fascinated with a new flickr group I joined of the same name. ; Would you like to try it? ; All you have to do is post a photograph with a ; link to a song or a lyric the photo visually represents for you. ; I'm working on a Tim McGraw song I posted awhile ago, called Good Girls, but for now, I'll start with this one. ; It's my very favorite photograph.

[​IMG]

John Denver.. Flying For Me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Nice- I actually have a Flickr set of pictures I think fit with song lyrics. ; Here's one.

[​IMG]

Paranoia strikes deep-
    Into your life it will creep-
    It starts when you're always afraid-
    You step out of line- the man come and take you away-

-Buffalo Springfield
    'For What it's Worth'

3. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Photography has such an emotional connection, for those that take the time to understand. However, at times it even catches you square on in the soul. A few years ago, I was shooting our local Renaissance Faire when someone caught my eye quite unexpectedly. I about dropped my camera before I got the shot below. The young lady in the photo bears an uncanny and striking resemblance of someone that I thought I had lost their image over the past years. For me this photo is a remembrance of my late fiancée. It was a brief moment in which déjà vu completely takes over and all you can do is contemplate poignant memories over what seems like hours, but in actuality was a brief few seconds. That moment turned into an outstanding day in which new friends were found, life's journey's shared amongst old and new, and more importantly new found memories celebrated warmly.

[​IMG]

I hear Leesha
    Singing in heaven tonight
    And in between the sadness
    I hear Leesha
    Telling me that she's alright
    Life goes on even after life
    That's what I believe
    Yea, that's what I believe
    Leesha's gone, but she will still survive
    In a memory that I'm keeping here with me
    Silencing the voice of mortal tragedy
    Listening to whispers of the soul
    All is peaceful

4. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I hear her too......Jay. ;

Photo's not mine, but the teardrop is.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

5. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

[​IMG]
    "Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief."

When you're down and troubled
    And you need a helping hand
    And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
    Close your eyes and think of me
    And soon I will be there
    To brighten up even your darkest nights...

6. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

7. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

8. gary

gary Member

it's not hard for me to find a song i like, it's just that with my favorite music it's kind of all murder ballads and other depressing subjects, see i'm a bluegrass boy to the bone, and i just don't know if i've got any that do justice to a stanley brothers song. but i'll try

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Don't know if you know this one, Gary...but it's a folksy, bluegrassy inspired tune.

Here's my picture that invokes the song:

[​IMG]

Blitzen Trapper: Furr (official)

10. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Yay! ; How come there's no clapping with glee, smiley? :) ; I need one.

Justin, I really enjoyed that and Gary...go right ahead. ; Give us downright depressing and murderous. ; I promise to wallow in it! :D

See? ; It's meaningful and fun!

11. zackiedawg

Blitzen Trapper has a song called 'Black River Killer' that Gary might like, on the murder theme. ; :)

I'm sure Gary's trying to come up with something for Ralph's "O Death" right now...or maybe "Pretty Polly"...how about it, Gary!?

12. gary

gary Member

those are good choices, my personal favorite stanley brothers song is sharecroppers son, probably the best ballad about hard times there ever was. how do i do an mp3 attached to a photo, i only have songs, no video

13. zackiedawg

Not sure...maybe Tim can help on that...The You Tube ones work by just finding it on YouTube and throwing in the URL. ; Maybe the MP3 works that way too if you can find it out on the web somewhere.

Sharecroppers son is definitely a solid. ; Though I always had a soft spot for the old English tales/ballads that were adopted by the Appalachian musicians. ; Pretty Polly, and Down in the Willow Garden/Rose Conley are particular favorites.

14. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I am getting excited for the weekend ; :D

[​IMG]

When I get high
    I get high on speed
    Top fuel funny car's
    A drug for me
    My heart, my heart
    Kickstart my heart
    Always got the cops
    Coming after me
    Custom built bike doing 103
    My heart, my heart
    Kickstart my heart

15. zackiedawg

Mary Jane's Last Dance:

[attachimg=1]

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mary Jane's Last Dance

Yes...there's a story for that photo! ; My father was a painter in the '60s before going forth in film/video, and one painting he had done which I always found interesting/haunting/captivating was of a purple woman with her eyes open floating on a sea of oil with dead flowers in her hands - sort of a 60s afterlife allegory. ; When Tom Petty's song came along, about a dead girl and a mortician, it made the connection to that old painting. ; Some years ago, I worked around with layers and processing to create a similar 'afterlife' atmosphere, with my friend graciously standing in for the dead girl. ; It was an homage to my dad's original work, and a creative exercise as well...and a very interesting collage of photos that were layered and merged to come up with the freaky Nine Inch Nails type look[nb]it involved a waterproof camera in a jacuzzi at night, some wild animals, a field of dirt, and a model shot[/nb] ; It seemed to fit the song very well too!

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

16. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Feelin' it this way...

.a hammock, a book, never gonna look back, once my feet hit the sand..I've had it up to here with this rat race..

[​IMG]

17. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

I wish I was there!

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

[​IMG]

Well, I can hear the whistle from a mile away,
    It sounds so good
    But I must stay away
    That train is a beauty, makin' everybody stare
    But its only destination is the middle of nowhere,

-Josh Turner
    'Long Black Train'

19. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

OH. ; MY. ; You do excel with those train shots, Michael. ; And they just keep getting better and better. ;

I LOVE this song. ; Perfect marriage of lyric and photo. ; Nice job!

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Roni! ;

I'm still working on my photos from the charter that I took that one on. ; I'll post some more later this week when I have them finished.