Printing over multiple pages

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Grumpwurst, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

My wife wants to take an image and blow it up. Our copier handles that, but really doesn't let you get to the fine details of setting the size. We are wanting to know if there is an application that will print an image over multiple pages (where you can then tape it together to get a full image) and you can say what size you want the image printed at (i.e. 14"x14"). She's needing to create a template for a quilt she's making

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Print Shop, available at your local computer store, for compatible with the Apple IIe and IIc. IIgs not yet supported. ;D

While if you play around with it, I know you can have a pic cross multiple pages in Paint. Under file setup you can tell it to fit to Y x Y pages, and if you mess with the margins you can probably get it to fit.

Perhaps margins of .75 on each LR margin, and 2 inches on top and bottom? And print 2 x 2 pages? That should work.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Its a little more work, but you could do it in photoshop. You'd have to enlarge the image to the final size, then place guides over the image to break it into pieces that would fit within your printer's margins and then copy and paste each piece into its own image and print.

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

5. Dan

Dan Member

I was going to mention that. But it's not exactly what you're looking for, I think. It's meant for massively blowing up images, to the point where if you looked at a single page it'd be almost unrecognizable, you'd be starting at the half toning and not seeing the image it's supposed to represent.
    If you do use it and want to make smaller images you could try using the version that you can download to your computer and then use the smallest dot size available, it's not perfect but it makes it look better from shorter distances. It's just frustrating that it's doing more than what I want, but in so doing is really reducing the visual quality.

I've been looking for an easy way to do this as well, I want to make a massive mural I can stick on a wall using several large prints, perhaps 8x12s or 12x18s. All I really want is a program that can take a file that's already been scaled up and split it into page sized sections.

For such a simple function it's proved difficult to find anything that does it so far.