So apparently, Mirrorless is trending!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by zackiedawg, Sep 5, 2018.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

No mention here yet, but many here have already dabbled in some mirrorless offerings especially with Sony's APS-C and full-frame bodies...plus the occasional micro-4:3 or Fuji APS-C user. But the mirrorless market is expanding exponentially now, as Sony's development and lots of media attention and reviews seems to have officially spurred the competition to jump in forcefully.
    Nikon Z full frame mirrorless debuted. Canon EOS-R full frame mirrorless has debuted. Rumors point to an upcoming Panasonic full-frame mirrorless to come. Sony continues to develop and expand its full-frame mirrorless system, and rumors of a new APS-C super-body to come soon. Fuji continues to update their APS-C mirrorless with a new fortified X-T3 on the way.
    It's starting to look like the very beginning of a turning point...like when 35mm format won out over others, when SLR took over from Twin-lens and rangefinder to become the dominant format, when AF popped up in SLRs and everyone followed quickly...or even when digital SLRs kicked in fully to end the film era. Now, are traditional DSLRs seeing the first notices that future development dollars will go into mirrorless bodies and lenses, especially given both Nikon and Canon have debuted brand-new lens mounts for their full-frame cameras? Nikon now has to consider lenses for APS-C and full-frame DSLRs, and now Z...Canon even more spread out has to consider supporting APS-C and full frame EF lines, PLUS their M Aps-C mirrorless line, and now their R full-frame mirrorless line.
    Nikon and Canon are still in the early phases with their full-frame bodies, both still falling short of the capabilities, speeds, and lens collections of their DSLR systems, and several generations behind Sony's mirrorless - but they certainly are showing that they've been studying the competition and there's a lot of imitation and copying, and a rapid development and improvement for next-gen bodies seems likely for both. The main question is: do Nikon and Canon debut new-and-improved full-frame DSLR pro-bodies at the same time as the mirrorless full-frame bodies? Or do they slow down on DSLR to concentrate on mirrorless, letting the increasing development of the mirrorless bodies get all the R&D and existing DSLR users continue to keep the bodies they have, or consider adapters to start the transition to the new systems?
    The future will be interesting indeed.

Nancy AK likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Canon EOS-R. Well THAT complicates my decision...

3. Stick with the Sony. They hear the hoof beats and will surely run faster with a better horse. Remember these Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras are still in kindergarten, developmentally. They will be catching up for YEARS.

~J

4. gary

gary Member

yes, i agree with joanie, not because i made the switch from canon to sony as a fanboy, i just feel that sony r&d is years ahead right now of the big 2, nikon has some advantage in that they have pretty much delegated all their sensor development to sony anyway. but the big 2 are putting out their first body attempts just now, meanwhile sony already has the A9 out for almost 2 years now, what is probably the fastest autofocus system currently available from anyone, and rumors grow stronger that sony is bringing a medium format sensor to market, probably 6x6 size with the A9 autofocus system. that is a camera i will preorder the day it is announced

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  5. Tim

I agree with you regarding the head start and maturity process however you have to remember that all of my lenses are Canon mount. And there’s no doubt in my mind that the Canon mount adapter on a Canon will work better than any third-party or off-brand adapter for a Sony. That is a huge consideration because switching out a lens lineup costs a small fortune as you guys are well aware.

6. gary

gary Member

i agree that a total switch right now for you tim would not make sense, my question is are the current L lenses going to be up to the task for the shorter flange distance , making canon stay with the eos mount so as not to obsolete an entire lens lineup?? and the shorter flange mount allows the use of much smaller and lighter lens barrels?? which in turn combined with the full frame sensors and vastly increased iso improvements these days allows the use of f4 lenses in many situations which used to demand f2.8, and look at what the f1.4 primes allow now, case in point your caretaker shot, that i assume was with that sigma 20mmm ART. and i should have been specific in that canon appears to finally be aiming for a serious mirrorless body, not that half hearted M thing. which made no one happy that i know of

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. Tim

Canon has announced three different mount adapters so that existing EF lenses can be used with the new “R“ mount. And yes, the caretaker was with the Sigma 20 art.

Hence my point that first party adapters would undoubtedly work better than third-party or meta-bones. At least logic would dictate.

8. gary

gary Member

this is camera gear, since when do we allow logic to dictate our moves spock??

9. Tim

Ain't wrong!