SO..........what are you gonna buy next?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i got a 4gig CF at Circuit City the other day for 49.99.... i remember my first 512 CF was over 90 bucks 4 years ago... amazing

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. HW

HW Member

I bought 3 1 gig CF cards for the F828 at 150 each 3 yrs ago. I remember 4 or 8 gig cards were very expensive. If I remember correctly a 4 gig CF was a few grand and a sony 1 gig mem stick was 600

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Wow, 16 gb CF is down to $260 at Adorama.

4. HW

HW Member

body prices drop. memory prices plummet.now if only lens would do the same

5. mousefan

mousefan Member

AMEN!!!!!

6. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Ahh ... but there isn't much to improve on lenses, is there ? Therefore, they aren't outdated as quickly and prices don't drop as much.

I got an 8 GB Ultra II CF card via a buy.com special a few months back for $70. I remember my first CF card for my Nikon Coolpix 900 was a 2 MB model. Heck, I remember my dad spending $1500 on our first hard drive - a 10 MB job. I thought "there's no way you could ever fill this thing up".

7. HW

HW Member

it was simply a wish. of course it wont come true

8. Dan

Dan Member

I'd say it's not so much about whether lenses can improve that much, but that the manufacturing technology isn't evolving in the same way. If someone could come up with a clever way to make it significantly easier to manufacture a lens then at first I'll bet that the third party manufacturers, Tamron, and Sigma, would start making cheaper lenses, then Canon and Nikon would eventually be forced to follow suit.

Yeah, a guy can dream.. last night I DID, actually.. I dreamed I had what appears to be the Canon 85mm F1.2 (a $1700 lens).. that'd be a pretty sweet Disney lens, although perhaps a bit too long for ride usage.
    It was a curious lens to dream of because really I crave bigger, longer lenses. I'm fascinated with those ultra wide primes, but what I really want is an ultra long prime.

9. HW

HW Member

yea I wish I could afford a nice long prime like a 600mm f4 but that is all it will ever be.. a wish

10. gary

gary Member

dan, from what i hear that's a primarily portrait lens, dof too shallow for rides, better the 35 f/1.4 L for rides,

tim, you too can someday make the payment on the 500 f/4, i got a dba as gbf photos from the county clerk, applied for and got a lease purchase from calumet, and 24 moths later i now own a 500 f4 IS, which if cared for should hold it's value for as long as canon makes eos mounts
    money ain't nothing but funny colored paper until you make it improve your life's enjoyment

11. Tim

well put.... money ain't everything but it sure can get you close...

12. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

On its way... :) :) :) :) :) :)

13. HW

HW Member

wired and wireless remotes on the way.
    Gdad .. what replaced the D70s ? and congrads on that lens

14. Tim

howie, told ya so, big spender.... :)
    now you NEED a bag, badly, and i am just your man!

15. HW

HW Member

YES I do Tim. enjoy yourself out there bud and don't hurry back to this armpit state.

16. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

hahaha I hope he's enjoying himself.

Let's see today's UV index. 12 out of 10. Wow. Time for SPF 1k.

17. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Thanks- Using backup D50 for now until I get a D200- probably still a few months out.

18. Tim

don't worry... i won't!

19. HW

HW Member

NJ and you.. perfect together

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

congratulations!!! Thats one of Nikons best. sharp, FAST, and VR, have fun!