Summer trip is...ON! June 3-7, 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by zackiedawg, Apr 24, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

It's just been getting too long since I've been up to Disney, so I'm finally booked officially for my next trip. ; I missed my usual March trip, so I am taking a June trip, despite the heat and crowds.

I'll be missing Flower & Garden by a few days - mostly we're going up that time so mom can get her free birthday gift. ; Looks like Star Wars weekends and gay day will be going on the weekend I'm there...should be very interesting - especially the combination of gay days AND Star Wars weekends at HS!

2. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

You are one brave soul to endure all of that at the same time.

3. goofmick

goofmick Member

I'll be there just a couple of weeks later. ; Can't wait!!

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I would be VERY interested in seeing those photo's so shoot lots and often for us.

5. zackiedawg

I expect I might need to watch the white balance mostly!

6. gary

gary Member

all i can say is we were there for gay days in 1996, not knowing it was same, until we saw some t shirts, after my wife so astutely pointed out that was the 4th same gender couple walking by holding hands. the first man we saw that night walking through the turnstiles at pleasure island was wearing a tutu, and it only got more interesting after that

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

We should be there that same weekend!!!
    The room is booked, but not paid for yet....

We will be at MGM on Friday for Star Wars, and the pool on Saturday.

8. zackiedawg

Shall I assume you're at Bendele Towers? ; Maybe we can bump into eachother.

9. zackiedawg

I found information on the designated parks for each of the gay day gatherings. ; I may hit a different park schedule each day - nothing against the group...but I'd be worried the park where the gay day is occurring each day will end up being the most crowded park. ; We'll see - it depends on how much of an extra crowd that event brings this year. ; It's not exactly the most empty time of year anyway - I'm expecting some crowds, and definitely taking the pace slow and relaxed.

10. zackiedawg

Leaving for Disney in...approximately...5 hours and 19 minutes!

Should be up there by 7pm checking in at Boardwalk, then off to Rainforest at Marketplace to eat.

I'm bringing the laptop, so I may check in when I can!

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

COOL!
    We are getting there on thursday! We'll be at MGM Friday, not sure where saturday. Could be MK or the pool.
    Thurs nite is at the wave....hopefully.

I'll look out for you.

12. zackiedawg

You know that room that is the best kept secret?

Well I got it! ; Checked in today to our standard view Boardwalk 1bedroom villa...was disappointed to learn we were not close to the lobby, but all the way down the end near the parking lot. ; We originally booked preferred view, and waitlisted standard, because the view didn't mean much for this trip and saving the points sounded good. ; But way down the end? ; We were discussing with the front desk even switching rooms tomorrow to one closer to the lobby.

So we went to the room...waaaaaay down the very end of the hall, right on the last turn towards the parking lot. ; And opened the room to find...huh? ; This doesn't look like the normal layout! ; What's with the living room being oriented sideways? ; Hey, check out how big the kitchen is, all open to the main room and with a full breakfast table! ; Check out the big windows, and 3 sets of glass doors in the living room out to the balcony! ; And oh my...this balcony is ridiculous! ; It wraps around 130 degrees, running for at least 35 feet since our room is situated right on a bend of the building. ; And there are absolutely no balconies or rooms on either side of us - 100% privacy! ; And the bedroom has it's own private balcony, completely secluded and separate from the huge main balcony! ; There's room in the living room for the fold out couch, and one entire queen size inflatable matress on the floor, with room still there for the chairs and breakfast table!

We are shocked - the room is gorgeous, and I do have experience with a lot of 1 bedroom villas - this one is basically the same size as Old Key West's. ; And those of you who've seen those know how big those are. ; There are, as far as I can tell, only 3 rooms like this one - 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor in this location. ; And the kicker: ; The view is better than some premium views I've paid for! ; We're facing the general vicinity of the parking lot, however we are directly fronted on the large pond with fountain at the entrance bridge into Boardwalk. ; The bridge is perfectly framed outside the window. ; We can see Japan, USA, and Morocco over the treetops in World Showcase, and about half of illuminations right from the balcony. ; And though the lobby is a trek away...there is a door outside directly below us 2 floors, with a staircase just across from the front door, and it's just a short meandering walk to the bus stop, which sits a bit away from the front entrance to the resort.

All this, and we're paying the cheapie standard view points.

I just logged on to make sure I was connecting to the internet - and wanted to share some really cool news with y'all! ; I'll get some pics up when I get back. ; I'll check in again tomorrow...hope everyone NOT on Disney property is at least having half the good time I am! ; :)

13. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Hope you have a great stay Justin.

I do recommend that you not post your room number till after you check out of a hotel or resort, though. It's kinda like posting your address on an open board - anyone can see it, not just registered members.

14. PolynesianMedic

Justin, what a lucky catch! ; I am guessing that you are not going to be changing that room at all on this trip. ; Sounds like a real gem. ; Can't wait to see the photo's and hear all about the trip! ; Enjoy! ; I will be in the World in exactly 2 months. ; I can't wait!

15. zackiedawg

Thanks guys...and Thanks Will - hadn't really considered that. ; Not to worried, but went ahead and edited it anyway...guess you can never be too safe with internet!!

It's rainy up here. ; Rained twice while I was at MK - once just trapped me under the TTA line for 15 minutes, and once while I was eating at Pirata Y El Perico. ; Not too bad though - the rain keeps the sun from getting too hot, except it gets a bit humid when the sun returns and bakes the wet ground! ; I think it keeps the crowds down. ; The parks LOOK crowded walking around, yet when going on the rides...they're not there! ; I walked straight into a stretch room on HM, and no exxageration, RIGHT onto a boat in Pirates with no line whatsoever. ; 3 total people in my boat. ; No complaints! ; Went back to Boardwalk before heading out for dinner, and the skies opened something fierce - very constant lightning, even small pea hail, and torrential Niagara Falls type rain for a good hour. ; From the balcony of my room, I watched a bolt of lightning tag the top of the American Adventure exhibit's tower and flag! ; That must have seriously put some fear into folks hiding out under the eaves from the rain in that pavilion - Floridians like me forget sometimes that a lot of folks aren't used to lightning this frequent and severe.

Once the rain let up around 8pm, walked into Epcot (EMH tonight, open until 12), watched Illuminations, grabbed dinner at San Angel restaurant in Mexico, rode Gran Fiesta, then jumped on Soarin (15 minute standby!!), and then just walked around the nearly empty World Showcase taking night photos. Got back around 11:30am, and settling for the night.

Tomorrow, Animal Kingdom! ; And snagged reservations for Jiko at 7:20pm. ; Then, if it isn't closed for rain, we'll probably go to one of the minigolf joints.

16. Paul

Paul Member

congrats on the room Justin, looking forward to seeing some of your new shots

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Lucky grab on the room Justin. Sounds like you guys are having a Great time. Can't wait to see all the photos of the room & everything else. No chance you got a shot of that lightning?

18. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Wow. ; I'll bet that the security CMs were awfully upset![nb]I know that was a typo[/nb] ; ;D ;D ;D

19. PolynesianMedic

Sounds like a great day Justin! ; Can't wait to read more and see the great shots you got.

20. zackiedawg

Nope...no typo. ; I was there overnight, until 11:30am the next day. ; I know how to avoid the security cameras. ; Camped out under a canoe by the Outpost when the cleaning crew came by.

Well, either that, or a typo.

:)

Off to AK!