ultimate control panel

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by HW, Mar 22, 2010.

1. HW

HW Member

for windows 7.
    make a new folder on desktop and name it this. copy and pasting the name saves typing it

GODMODE.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

it creates a control panel shortcut on the desktop that has alot of windows settings not shown in the regular control panel

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, I'll have to try it someday. ; When I get 7 installed on one of my machines, that is.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

SWEET! ;

(it works)

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear that Tim!

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Good tip. ; Thanks HW!

6. Dan

Dan Member

Ha! ; Finally I find a way to get to the game controller panel without using the circuitous route that MS has apparently decided I must be forced to use...

I just don't get this. ; It's a basic control panel for game controllers. ; Joysticks, gamepads, and the like. ; It used to be one of the options in control panel, but as of Win 7 it's no longer there. ; I have to go to the devices and printers panel in control panel and then right click a game controller, and I get an option to open the panel that I want to go to in the first place.

My PC simplified my rear end, Microsoft!

I'm not sure if there's anything else interesting in this new menu or not.. I'm finding some rather obscure options, like "find missing start menu".. huh? ; Clicking on it just goes to the task bar and start menu properties pages, so.. I'm not sure what the name of the link is about.

Or my personal favorite, there's the "add or remove programs" option, and then the "change or remove a program" option. ; They both do exactly the same thing. ; And that "uninstall a program" option? ; The same thing again.

I'm not so much complaining about those, this isn't something MS apparently intended their users to see, I can only assume this was a half baked feature that they shelved.

Ooops, and it looks like I have to offer a warning. ; My god mode control panel window just crashed. ; Looks like this thing may be even less ready for prime time than I suspected.

I can't be certain that the fault lies in this godmode link, but even if it is to blame it doesn't look like a catastrophic issue. ; But.. just be on the look out for weird behavior.

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Dan,

This is one of many "folders" that can be created using those long hex code names and were introduced in Vista. ; These were NEVER meant to be seen by end users. ; Just like CTRL-ALT-DEL these are things the developers coded for their own ease of use and they leaked out to the general public