Oh what to do?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Grumpwurst, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I don't know about Sir Timmy but, I dump my cards every day. That way I've been able to get by with only 8GB for so long, but I typically rack up something like 5000-8000 raw images in 10 days

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Grumpwurst

I'll take all those advantages. Especially the better low light performance and Pro AF

3. Grumpwurst

Are you telling me that all those are setting choices I'm going to have to make with the camera. It's not just simply choosing to shoot RAW or JPG (and then what size JPG)?

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think the one thing that it's taken me a while to get used to is that basically the D300 has the same AF module as the 3/700 series. So it covers the same amount of space on the sensor, so the D300's AF covers a larger % of the frame compared to the full frame models, so there is less having to focus lock and recompose.

Ahhh sometimes I wish for the old days of 3 AF points.

5. Grumpwurst

Trust me, I'll be reading the manual on the plane. I'll need to quickly get up to speed on how to make the necessary changes to ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture for when I'm shooting in either Aperture or Shutter Priority modes.

I think I can get by on that until one of you "experts" can point out some other useful tips to know. My world opened up when Craig showed me the technique for setting the white balance by pointing my camera toward my white source. And now I have an ExpoDisc to help with that

6. Roger

Yes, but it's a menu setting, so it's not like you have to scroll through the list every time you want to change. (although I highly recommend using the shooting menu for big changes - like I use one for dark rides, one for general, etc....)

I think it defaults to 12 bit lossless compressed.

7. Grumpwurst

All this is making me a bit more excited about my decision to pull the trigger and get the D300.

8. Roger

I think you're going to get up to speed rather quickly. (ISO button is on the top left, or you can save it in the My Menu) In fact, remember that My Menu is your friend.

9. Roger

Here's another tip: 14 bit RAW does slow down the max. frame rate, so it's not the best for when you need 3+ fps. So that's another reason to use the shooting menu options to be able to quickly change from 14 bit and 12 bit depending on what you are shooting.

Now many people disagree about the usefulness of 14 bits v 12 bits, but I wouldn't want to throw any of the data away, esp. since the improvements are going to be in the shadows.

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Yes, think "MY menu" :)

Ray the Af points in the d300 are awesome when compared to the d80. It also focuses much faster than the d80.

I agree with roger about the different shooting menus, but I think I would skip over them for THIS trip to mousefest, and just make iso, S vs. A mode, etc directly as needed.

Study the picture controls a lot. That is my favorite feature on the d300. Add the picture controls to the top of your "my menu"
    The picture controls are what control color like "portrait" "landscape"
    "Standard" and "neutral"

I found that the d300 seems to need more sharpening than the d80. I set the individual "picture controls" to +sharpening alot. I have left every other tweak in the picture controls factory

11. Roger

And here's the download page for the picture controls that aren't included on the camera (I think they're not, I know the D2X isn't for sure)

http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/

12. Grumpwurst

I'm taking it you are a fan of the 14bit lossless uncompressed? I'm guessing the 14bit means more information contained in the picture? I know what uncompressed and lossless mean. I'm guessing the principle is the same was when you are talking about audio files where one prefers to have a lossless uncompressed version if you can afford the HD space

13. Roger

I'm a fan of the lossless compressed. The uncompressed file is very very large, which makes me suspect that Canon is compressing the RAW file and just not telling anyone....

14. Grumpwurst

Craig/Roger,

I'll be sure to give the "My Menu" section of the manual a good read.

15. Grumpwurst

Wow this thread has quickly ballooned to 4 pages! Thanks everyone. I have now made the plunge into the Professional series of camera bodies...haha...It's exciting

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Congrats Ray! You're going to love the camera.

17. Grumpwurst

Roger and Craig's contributions to this thread have really made me excited about my new acquisition.

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Hey, good for you, Ray!!!

The D300 owners/former owners gave you great tips for the camera. My only input there would be to learn how to setup Auto ISO. Maybe that can be added in the personalized settings menu?

Have you owned a VR lens before? You can get really good results down to 1/15th of a second and I've even gotten some at 1/4 of a second hand held. Also, again, if you haven't used a VR lens before, don't be concerned if the image jumps a bit in the viewfinder when you press the shutter. That just means the VR is working.

Here's a blog I did on how to hand hold a lens normally and at very slow shutter speeds.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/photoblog ... lding.html

See ya at Mousefest Ray!!!! BTW, I use Program mode a lot. On a Nikon, you can easily alter the shutter speed and f/stop with the camera's dials (on my D70, it's the rear dial. The D300 might be different.).

Though the camera does not guarantee better pictures, the D300 is a better tool than the D80. Better tools tend to give better results, IMO. :)

19. Grumpwurst

Scott,

I never delved into the P mode on my D80 and I don't think I ever got into the Auto ISO. I'll need to read up on that. I do know I got burned a few times because I remembered to alter my f/stop or shutter speed (depending on whether or not I was using Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority) and left the ISO unaltered and ended up with an underexposed or blown out picture

20. Grumpwurst

Overnight delivery is fast!

I ordered at 2:30PM CST and it was at my door by 9AM CST!

I haven't opened up the box yet because my wife is still asleep after going to bed at 6am and I know I'll wake her because I'll be tearing into it like a kid on Christmas morning.

Granted I only went to bed an hour before her, but I was too excited to sleep once the UPS guy came.