The Washington Monument under rehab 9.5 years ago

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Roger, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

wow, that is really cool looking!
    nice job Roger!
    Who would think scaffolding could look good

3. goofy101

goofy101 Member

That scaffolding looks like it was purpose built, how tall is the monument?

4. Roger

169.294m

5. goofy101

goofy101 Member

WOW!, coming from a part of the UK where there are no tall buildings I really cannot comprehend something that tall, thanks Roger

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Roger. Do you have any photos of it all lit up at night?

When I did an internship at the Smithsonian NMAI construction office, my boss showed me some pictures taken from inside the scaffolding. He scored a tour that included a climb to the top of the scaffolding, and even had a photo of himself next to the aluminum cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Roger this is a cool shot. It almost didn't look real to me because of the outside of the scaffolding. I like it though.

8. Roger

I wish. I working days back then (so my nights were for sleep, barely had time after a 12 hr shift to get sleep before the next day), and even for 7/4 I spent too much time trying to get to the Jefferson Memorial to be able to stop and shoot other things at night.

That day was a day in the city with my A2E and a rented Mamiya 7.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Next time you're in DC, try to leave plenty of time to shoot the monuments at night. They upgraded all of the lighting which makes it much better for photography. They also added more light stands farther back at all of the monuments so the tops don't get so dark anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Roger

I will. I haven't gotten the final confirm about me going the first week of April. Hopefully I will.

11. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

Great shots guys!

I've lived in the northeast all my life and have yet to see Washington DC~

I've driven *past* it plenty of times, usually on our way to FL ::)

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks ColleenMarie. You really should try go visit DC sometime, there are lots of photo opportunities... I like going down there in the spring before tourist season and before the humidity gets bad

13. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I hear ya Michael!

I'd looove to go during the Cherry blossom festival, I hear it's very pretty~

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

It is incredible during peak bloom. But timing peak bloom is very tough... The festival is two weeks long but the true peak bloom only lasts a couple of days (depending on the weather). NPS forecasts the bloom here but they can only give a fairly accurate window starting 16-21 days out. But if you get the timing right and have great weather, you can get some nice shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

Two more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. scpergj

scpergj Member

Those shots are amazing! We'll be spending a couple of days in DC this summer (we have to visit the in-laws in Maine...long drive from JAX!) with our kids. We haven't been since our honeymoon back in 1995...and I carried my 35mm Mamiya back then. I'll try to dig out some of my pictures from then and scan them. I have some pretty nice pictures at Arlington and the Air and Space museum, If I remember correctly.

17. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Michael these shots are absolutely Brilliant! Thanks for posting!

18. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

Beautiful again Michael...and thank you for that info!

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys! You're welcome ColleenMarie. Here's one more. This one is my all time favorite cherry blossom shot even though I took it with my old manual focus Minolta X700 on Kodak Gold 100. The scan doesn't do it justice...

[​IMG]

...what I'd give to catch that scene again with my D700...

20. Roger

When did you scan it?