Tonight's Moon

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Tim, Mar 16, 2011.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

The only lens I have is the 75-300 on a 1.6 crop frame. ; I don't know if I have enough reach to meter it correctly.

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I should think the 300mm with 1.6x crop should be enough to cover the spot meter circle. ; Give it a try - unless your camera's spot meter circle is too big or sloppy at isolation, it should meter pretty much like a sunny day.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Nice shots both of you!

4. HW

HW Member

thanks Roger. where ya been? don't see much of ya around these here parts anymore

5. zackiedawg

Friday's moon at 1500mm

Gave it a quickie test tonight with my Tamron 200-500 and a Tamron 2x teleconverter, for 1000mm, with a 1.5x crop sensor, for 1500mm equivalent:

[​IMG]

It's an el-cheapo TC and manual focus only, but still gets pretty decent detail and pretty well fills the frame with no cropping.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. HW

HW Member

manual focus with the converter ?

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Pretty cool Justin. ; I took about 6 shots last night, but have not looked at them on the computer yet.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Great detail on the cheap, Justin. ; Clouds came in last night on me. ; Tonight is supposed to be clear, cold and a bit of a breeze. ; Still trying to find a good landscape for the rise.

9. zackiedawg

Me too - I don't know if there's anywhere I can go in South Florida where I can see the horizon other than the beach. ; And while that sounds nice, it doesn't come out all that interestingly in photographs - better to have something on the horizon to silhouette or provide scale. ; Being at sea level,surrounded by a tropical jungle of trees and big mansions and condo buildings everywhere, horizons are about as real as the Easer bunny for us.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I think I got a location which should work well at moonrise and after it clears the horizon. ; Unlike you, Justin, I will need to be prepared for freezing temperatures. ; Going to put the 80-400 on my D70 to take advantage of the crop factor to get 600mm. ;

11. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very Nice shots Tim & Howie

12. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

13. HW

HW Member

thanks Colleo

ddindy with that package you could shoot the Andromeda galaxy

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Yeah, but the shutter speed required at f/176 means it would be tough keep it centered in the field of view.

15. HW

HW Member

I was kidding of course. ; at a distance of 2.3 million light years you won't even see it but it would be fun to figure out what shutter speed you would need