Summer of 2013 Pics

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I wanted a fantasy feel to the Upper Pinnacle Falls in Fillmore Glen State Park near Moravia, New York. To do that I stopped down the lens to f/32 and put a 3-stop Neutral Density (ND) filter on it. This allowed for a 15 second exposure for a smooth, creamy look to the moving water over the falls and rocks.

[​IMG]
    Fantasy Falls by Scottwdw

Click the photo to read about the Landscape Photography concepts I have been practicing recently.

2. wddoebler

wddoebler Member

Scott, I ordered the neutral density filters that you recommended but have only used them a little. ; When I see how beautiful they worked to make this beautiful picture, I'm going to have to get them out and put them to more use.
    Regards, Bill

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Bill,

Anything that moves is a good candidate for using ND filters. ; Fireworks is another very good use for them. Also, if you are shooting in mid-day Sun, it is a good way to control the light and contrast of a scene.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Visited the City of Waterfalls...Hamilton, Ontario, Canada over the weekend. ; This is one of eleven waterfalls I visited with the help of a local photographer who I meet on Google+.

[​IMG]
    Sherman Falls by Scottwdw

I put my UWA setup to work. ; Used a Nikon D7100 camera and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX lens paired together. ; I figure this will be my setup for landscapes on my southwest trip next month.

5. wddoebler

wddoebler Member

Beautiful shot Scott.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Holy CRAP that is awesome, Scott. ; You don't see that stuff in NJ. ; Except maybe at a waste water treatment plants... And nobody goes there to take pics. ;

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I will have more photos from Hamilton but wanted to share this iPhone Pano photo from Niagara Falls, Canada. ; As the Sun got lower in the sky in the afternoon, rainbows could be seen in all the mist in the air around the waterfalls.

[​IMG]

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Talking about Anchor Points and photographing small objects in big landscapes. ; Click the photo below to join in on the discussion.

[​IMG]
    Anchor Rock by Scottwdw

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Scott, your waterfall shots are great, thanks for sharing these!

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, John. ; Switching over to people and events this weekend as the NY State Fair is back. ; The unofficial end to Summer for central NY. ; Might have a few more waterfalls to sprinkle in before the astronomical end of Summer on 9/22.

13. thewuf

thewuf Member

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Sure...any photos from this summer are welcome. ; Very nice. ; I do not know of any working mills around me or is that just a residence now?

15. thewuf

thewuf Member

Thanks...

I fixed it.

and I think I linked the old version, but I did shoot the same thing this summer too.

It's actually been converted into a christian summer camp, the Living Waters Ministry maintains the grounds and allows the public complete access to the FOUR beautiful falls on the grounds.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The end of summer is near as the New York State Fair opened last week and I had a new lens to use this year. ; Got a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye last week and gave it a proper shake down at the Fair. ;

[​IMG]
    Fisheyed Fair by Scottwdw

Click the photo to see more fisheye photos from the Fair.

17. Calidain

Calidain Member

Very Nice, I love the fisheye!!!

:-*

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Cool new exhibit at the NYS Fair all about its history starting back in the 1800's. One of the displays was a timeline showing all the big time entertainers who have performed at the Fair. I remember each one of them starting in 1969. Am I old now?

[​IMG]
    Fair Entertainment Timeline by Scottwdw, on Flickr

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Going to sneak in this Niagara Falls photos in between all the Fair pics today. Another one of the rainbow but with only 28mm to work with. ; Had left the Tokina in the car that day. ; Not to smart of me, eh?

[​IMG]

20. HW

HW Member

great series of shots. I may have to revisit these in winter to remind me of warm weather