Summer trip is...ON! June 3-7, 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by zackiedawg, Apr 24, 2009.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

LOL!

Can't wait to hear about your night in AK! ;)

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

June 3-7, 2009 Mini Trip report follow-up

Well, last I left off, I had slept overnight in AK. ; ;)

Just wanted to finish off the blow-by-blow of the trip. ; It rained every day we were there, at some point during the day. ; And I can't say it bothered me in the least. ; The coolest and most pleasant moments were when the storms came, dropped the temps by 10 degrees, brought a breeze along, and scared some of the crowd away. ; For the most part, it was Florida rain - 15-20 minutes of hellfire and damnation, followed by bright sunshine and heat, like nothing ever happened. ; Only Thursday was fairly determined to stay rainy throughout - even then, we only got rained on a few times throughout the day, which otherwise stayed fairly grey and drab. ; No problems ducking into a quick shelter or ride during the rain, and find it gone when we got out.

The last day (Saturday), I started the day at Hollywood Studios. ; It rained hard in the morning before I headed over, grounded the boat from Boardwalk to HS until lightning abated, but by a little after noon, they started up. ; Spent 2-3 hours there - it looked VERY crowded, yet as with all the other days, heading to any of the rides proved that the parks weren't as crowded as they seemed...Tower of Terror was a 20 minute standby, Rockn Roller Coaster was 30 standby. ; Everything else was pretty much walk-on (except I didn't go the direction of Toy Story, so don't know how that one was). ; Had lunch at Rosie's, then hopped the boat to Beach and walked into Epcot. ; No problems there either - Soarin in 20 min standby this time...in the late afternoon!, walkon for U of Energy and Maelstrom. ; Again crowds looked thick, but proved to just be standing around all of the sidewalks and walkways, or walking around - not actually going on any rides! ; :) ; I don't get it...but I ain't complainin!

Sunday, departed at 11am, drove home with not a drop of rain until I hit my hometown city limits, and even then a light sprinkle. ; Unpacked the car, turned on weather to see what the afternoon would be, and there were severe T-storm warnings, hail, and tornado watches up for a 60-mile stretch of the drive home I just completed! ; I made it home 20 minutes before the storms opened up fiercely.

Now...hundreds of pics to process and resize! ; Now...work. ; See y'all later tonight1

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Sounds like you had as good as time as me and Dina. VERY light crowds at mgm and MK for us.
    The rain was a classic florida pattern that seems to have been missing the past couple of years. Just wait a few minutes and its gone. We stayed and shopped in POTC and then walked over to frontierland to shop a little. No ponchos were needed.

Saturday we went to the gym for a while and then rented a boat again before heading to the MK. ; We closed MK Sat night and spent Sunday afternoon there too.

Friday was Star Wars Weekends which was pretty cool. I got "yelled" out by a stormtrooper because I was blocking the way for Darth Vader while taking pics!
    Dina took a pic of me with a stormtrooper.

Thursday was just a hotel day to enjoy the room and hotel, and we did get to go the wave for dinner.

A great trip! It was good to go again for a long weekend. We havent spent the night up there yet this year. 6 months is way too long....

4. Paul

Paul Member

I think if I went to WDW in the summer season and didn't experience those rains, I would feel like I was missing something. ; Sounds strange, but but the rain is just part of the atmosphere. ; I just hope it to have the same experience you guys had when we go down for our summer trip. ; Occasional downpours followed by brilliant Florida sunshine! (and a dry camera)